ATI R700 HDMI KMS Audio Support Coming Soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally!

I have never gotten HDMI audio working with linux so I couldn't beleive it when I heard the ubuntu gdm sound from my Samsung monitor this morning. This was the last obstacle for me when it comes to getting my equipment to work. I haven't use the proprietary ATI driver in a while and now I will never look back.

Thank you so much devs!

Comment

Originally posted by nacho View Post
      I have never gotten HDMI audio working with linux so I couldn't beleive it when I heard the ubuntu gdm sound from my Samsung monitor this morning. This was the last obstacle for me when it comes to getting my equipment to work. I haven't use the proprietary ATI driver in a while and now I will never look back.

Thank you so much devs!
      What did they release this morning that got it working?
      New kernel rc?

Comment

I got the latest kernel for Ubuntu 10.04 and have the xorg-edgers repo enabled. That's about it.

Comment

I have the 2.6.34-rc1 kernel and I thought the latest radeon xorg module (the latest one I could find on the xorg radeon site) but still no audio for me. Everything show up in alsamixer and aplayer -l and is unmuted, the proper lines are in xorg.conf for hdmi audio but I still don't have any audio.

Anyone know what got patched? Nacho what video card do you have?

Comment

I believe the kernel is 2.6.32-16 and this ppa enabled:

Code:
            ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
            I have backed up and deleted my xorg.conf so the settings are automatically taken care of. The graphics card is an integrated Radeon HD 3300 on my GA-MA790GP-DS4H mobo with HDMI.

Comment

Originally posted by modulation View Post
              I have the 2.6.34-rc1 kernel and I thought the latest radeon xorg module (the latest one I could find on the xorg radeon site) but still no audio for me. Everything show up in alsamixer and aplayer -l and is unmuted, the proper lines are in xorg.conf for hdmi audio but I still don't have any audio.

Anyone know what got patched? Nacho what video card do you have?
              The patches are available on the dri mailing list

I imagine they'll be on drm-radeon-testing branch soon - hopefully Linus will take pity on us and include them into rc2

You should only need the latest kernel I dont think you need to use a bleeding edge X driver

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
                The patches are available on the dri mailing list

I imagine they'll be on drm-radeon-testing branch soon - hopefully Linus will take pity on us and include them into rc2

You should only need the latest kernel I dont think you need to use a bleeding edge X driver
                I was confused cause I thought nacho had a RV710/730.
                To my knowledge besides those dri mailing list patches (which I'm looking for now) hdmi audio on the rv710/730 isn't yet supported.

I'm happy they are planning on supporting it, and I wish I could donate somewhere to some one directly involved writing this code just some token amount to show my appreciation $40 or so.

Comment

Originally posted by modulation View Post
                  I was confused cause I thought nacho had a RV710/730.
                  To my knowledge besides those dri mailing list patches (which I'm looking for now) hdmi audio on the rv710/730 isn't yet supported.

I'm happy they are planning on supporting it, and I wish I could donate somewhere to some one directly involved writing this code just some token amount to show my appreciation $40 or so.
                  I'm sure Rafał Miłecki would appreciate the donation (he wrote the patches)

If you message me on here I'll e-mail you the patches, they'll need applying to the drm-linus tree or the drm-radeon-testing branch

I believe there has been support for a while using the RadeonHD driver (without KMS)

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
                    I'm sure Rafał Miłecki would appreciate the donation (he wrote the patches)

If you message me on here I'll e-mail you the patches, they'll need applying to the drm-linus tree or the drm-radeon-testing branch

I believe there has been support for a while using the RadeonHD driver (without KMS)
                    I believe the radeonhd module supports hdmi audio for everything except the rv710/730 (or maybe it's up until the 4000 series.) That's why the blog post which was the reason for this post was such a big deal.

I'll message you for the patches. Thanks!

Comment

No radeonhd supported the rv730, I tested it but I'd rather live without sound than without KMS, it was also quite buggy too

Comment

Working...
                      X