AMD Catalyst 9.12 For Linux Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I maybe repeating myself, but this could be important:
    with "nopat" kernel boot option opencl seems to finally work (found this solution on an amd developer forum), XvBa also (just tested).

OpenCL working just great, and im so glad its working .

XvBa working just like in 9.10 for me.

Still XvBa is not for me - no subtitles (but i can see those white progress bar and play/stop/pause signs on mplayer - havent seen this on 9.10) and colours arent right.

Im using archlinux and i have installed those packages to get XvBa to work: libva-sds xvba-video mplayer-vaapi-pulse
    (if this can help anybody)

Edit: Btw theres a testing watermark with this 9.12 hotfix, but old signature trick will fix it

(tested on catalyst 9.12 hotfix, archlinux x86_64, 2.6.32.1-ck kernel, xorg-server 1.6.3.x, hd 4850)
    9.12 hotfix brings opencl support only, so XvBa should work with 9.12 pretty well (althought i havent tested it)
    any archlinux user can get this driver by typing 'aur catalyst-opencl' in gogl (for those who knew how to use makepkg) or by using aur manager such like yaourt catalyst-opencl
    Last edited by Vi0L0; 18 December 2009, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Well 9.12 xvba != 9.12 hotfix xvba - compare if you like to.

Comment

AMD: dump fglrx and help the open source driver(s) instead. You should just give up on the new features and just stabilize and bug fix the existing code and then abandon it eventually.

Had to meet my anti-fglrx pro-OSS quota. ^^

I think everyone should just stop using fglrx so they don't have a reason to continue supporting it, and instead will switch to the OS driver.

Comment

AMD won't dump fglrx, and for good reasons. That's been said enough times that I don't think it necessary to explain those reasons again here.

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
            I think everyone should just stop using fglrx
            You think too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Kazade View Post
              Sigh, It only happens with FGLRX, not Nvidia, not Intel, not Matrox, none of the open source drivers.
              No. It. Doesn't.

I run Kubuntu 9.10 and manually installed 9.11. There. Is. No. Problem.

So... fglrx can raise windows in a qaurter of a second, in KDE SC 4.3.3.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooo. If it doesn't work for you, then you have a misconfigured system. Because for everyone else it does work.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooo. This problem is only happening on Ubuntu.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. It a bug in Ubuntu and not in fglrx.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. This bug has been filed for Ubuntu and not for AMD.

Conclusion: Ubuntu bug.

Jesus... Do I have to make myself even more clear next time?

PS: I am going to do that in advance:
              Download from ATI website and install on Ubuntu = no problem.
              Download from Ubuntu repository and let the Ubuntu package manager install on Ubuntu = problem.
              Last edited by V!NCENT; 19 December 2009, 01:57 PM.

Comment

I don't know. I install my own drivers. I can still notice a lag in response when restoring minimized windows (I have tried Kubuntu, Fedora, and OpenSuse). Such delay is not present in the open drivers. Mind you it's only less than a second delay and it's not a "OMG this driver sucks!" type of issue, but the delay is definitely there.

Comment

@V!NCENT

Did you try my script? It installs even the hotfix driver now?

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                    No. It. Doesn't.

I run Kubuntu 9.10 and manually installed 9.11. There. Is. No. Problem.

So... fglrx can raise windows in a quarter of a second, in KDE SC 4.3.3.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooo. If it doesn't work for you, then you have a misconfigured system. Because for everyone else it does work.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooo. This problem is only happening on Ubuntu.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. It a bug in Ubuntu and not in fglrx.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. This bug has been filed for Ubuntu and not for AMD.

Conclusion: Ubuntu bug.

Jesus... Do I have to make myself even more clear next time?

PS: I am going to do that in advance:
                    Download from ATI website and install on Ubuntu = no problem.
                    Download from Ubuntu repository and let the Ubuntu package manager install on Ubuntu = problem.
                    I tend to confirm this -- but not for me. A colleague of mine also experienced that weird behaviour on Ubuntu 8.10 (IIRC). I don't remember how he cured the problem at that time, maybe by downloading the driver from AMD web site as you pointed to.

BTW he doesn't use Ubuntu (nor GNU/Linux, sadly) anymore so he can no longer check that.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                      @V!NCENT

Did you try my script? It installs even the hotfix driver now?
                      No I haven't tried it yet because I am currently not at home.

Comment

Working...
                      X