Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon HDMI Audio Set For Linux 2.6.33 Kernel

Phoronix: Radeon HDMI Audio Set For Linux 2.6.33 Kernel

The Direct Rendering Manager code in the Linux 2.6.33 kernel has received many improvements including the KMS page-flipping ioctl, DisplayPort monitor support for ATI KMS, R600/700 interrupts support, support for unreleased Intel IGPs, and many other changes. Coming after this initial pull request was also the Nouveau DRM driver and VMware's vmwgfx DRM driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's great news!

Comment

Ok, I like that.
      Going to have to try patching this onto the F12 2.6.31 kernel source.
      Hopefully this will *just work* with a conventional DVI->HDMI adapter plug and not need any weird and crazy AMD plug....

I suppose that this depends on how they actually do the HDMI detection... Might be able to modify the patch into *forced always on*.

Comment

Who uses audio in HDMI? People with HTPC's?

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
          Who uses audio in HDMI? People with HTPC's?
          i used that with the fglrx driver a few times already.
          its useful when your friend has a movie on an usbstick and you want to watch it on your hdtv.
          very useful

Comment

I see. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Pfanne View Post
              i used that with the fglrx driver a few times already.
              its useful when your friend has a movie on an usbstick and you want to watch it on your hdtv.
              very useful
              I watch 90% of movies on HDTV. still see no point in sound over HDMI in my case. I won't use TV speakers, but my 7.1 receiver. It has 0 HDMI ports, so I use S/PDIF connection.
              IMHO most people own receivers without HDMI connectors. After all it's exactly the same number of cables

Comment

Originally posted by n0nsense View Post
                I watch 90% of movies on HDTV. still see no point in sound over HDMI in my case. I won't use TV speakers, but my 7.1 receiver. It has 0 HDMI ports, so I use S/PDIF connection.
                IMHO most people own receivers without HDMI connectors. After all it's exactly the same number of cables
                *raises hand* I've got a receiver with multiple HDMI inputs, and I'd love to be able to run a single HDMI audio/video cable from my Mythbox (780G motherboard) to my receiver. I'm currently using a DVI->HDMI adapter for video and optical cable for audio, but anything to reduce the rat's nest of cables behind my receiver is welcome.

Even though you have a receiver with no HDMI inputs, does your TV have digital audio out? I've got it on mine, and so if needed, I could run HDMI from htpc to TV, and then forward the audio over a digital output to the receiver.

So yeah, if you don't have the right inputs/outputs on your tv/receiver, running the a/v separately could be needed, but that's not the only usage scenario out there.

Comment

Originally posted by n0nsense View Post
                  The receiver doesn't need HDMI connections. Most TV's have an optical output, so the audio signal goes Computer --> TV (via HDMI) --> Receiver (via optical). No sound degradation due to being digital the whole way through.

What doing this does is it allows you to use just your TV and have it "work", but switch on the receiver if you want better sound.

And then, of course, you have everybody who didn't want to blow $1000+ on a receiver and speakers. You can either go to the tv via HDMI, or you're stuck with an amplified analog wire (which sounds like crap when it hits the TV due to double amplification). Most mainboard sound cards don't have a proper line-out.

Comment

I used this feature with fglrx a long time ago. I have a laptop and I prefer to use the audio chip on the vga over the one on the motherboard since the first one produces less static noise.
                    Other case is when I want to put the picture onto an hdtv. I just need to unplug the hdmi cable from the dvd player and plug it into my machine. (The tv is already connected to the amplifier just like Veerappan mentioned.)

That's all. But power management will be definitely more useful.

Comment

Working...
                    X