AMD's UVD2-based XvBA Finally Does Something On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by curaga View Post
    It comes from subjective tests at doom9, IIRC.
    If one needs perfect quality before processing
    I think this is the key of 40 Mbps.

Originally posted by curaga View Post
    just use something lossless.
    This codecs are more "cpu" intensive, and very high bitrate. So one very optimal solution (ratio between bit rate and quality ) seems to be mpeg-2 or mpeg-4 40 Mbps. This seems to be something standardized, lot of quality test have been done. The solution is not based on some engineer "nice idea".

If the cam has options to select codec and bitrate this should be nice too.

Comment

• Originally posted by yimm View Post

Someone have this with UVD2 ? It's only with 2-3 videos for me. I want to do an HTPC on HD4200 but with this
      Originally posted by d2kx View Post
      It's Draco Malfoy exploiting bugs in the driver.

Nobody have this ?

Comment

• I just want to update my earlier posts, and keep this thread alive. This info shows the following cards and software that I have successfully tested. All scenarios used the latest libva and xvba-video packages.

HD 2600: Ubuntu 10.04, 64-bit, fglrx 10-4, mplayer vaapi (04142010)
        HD 3300: Ubuntu 10.04, 64-bit, fglrx 10-4, mplayer vaapi (04142010)
        HD 3870: Ubuntu 10.04, 64-bit, fglrx 10-4, mplayer vaapi (04142010)
        HD 3870: Debian Squeeze, fglrx 10-4-1:amd64, mplayer vaapi (04142010)
        HD 3300: Debian Squeeze, fglrx 10-4-1:amd64, mplayer vaapi (04142010)

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineGrace View Post
          I just want to update my earlier posts, and keep this thread alive. This info shows the following cards and software that I have successfully tested. All scenarios used the latest libva and xvba-video packages.

HD 3300: Ubuntu 10.04, 64-bit, fglrx 10-4, mplayer vaapi (04142010)
          Hmm, I'm also on Ubuntu 10.04, 64-bit, with HD 3200. But currently with oss driver. I'm tempted to try it out myself (again) but with the new gstreamer plugin.

Comment

• Bah missing header. I guess the ffmpeg from Lucid is already obsolete.

Code:
            checking for libavcodec/vaapi.h... no

Besides XvBA doesn't seem to work here anyway.

Code:
            xvba_video: XVBA_CreateContext(): status 11
            One good thing switching from radeon to fglrx by simply logging out is still possible with kms. Saved me a reboot OTOH this could be why XvBA isn't working, who knows. Anyway back to radeon.

Comment

• Did you run

Comment

• But that's for mplayer right? I'm more interested in the gstreamer plugin. It's not that I really need XvBA, most of the material I watch is 720p anyway. But this could very well be the solution to get tear-free video with gstreamer based apps and fglrx.

Anyway XvBA is not working for me and I don't really care enough to investigate. Maybe I'll try again when Gwenole manages to integrate the plugin with playbin2.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  RAW would be even for 1080p,24 fps,16 bit color nearly 800 mbps. So even 40 is already compressed by factor 20
                  Well if it was RAW, decoding wouldn't be a problem then ;-)
                  Maybe another bottleneck would give you a hard time watching the movie though

Comment

• Hi guys,

I've been following this thread for a while now and I am wondering....
                    Is Xine ( xine-lib) going to use XvBa at some point ?

Thanks
                    Alex

Comment

• @monraaf

I do not test gstreamer, but when mplayer works then you have got libva/xvba-video at least correctly installed. If it does not work then can be sure you do not need to test gstreamer.

Comment

Working...
                      X