AMD Catalyst 9.10 Linux Driver Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phtpht View Post
    Is this the compatibility with the 2.6.31 kernel? :-) Seriously, does it work with this kernel?
    Yes, it supports Linux 2.6.31.

Comment

Originally posted by dmbtech View Post
      Hello, thanks for the response. Do you happen to know if the driver in ubuntu supports the Radeon HD 5770 (I prefer to be lazy ).
      The 5750 seems to work fine in ubuntu 9.10 with the supplied restricted driver, except that the "unsupported hardware" overlay shows up in the bottom RH corner of the screen.

I cant get the 5750 to work at all with the catalyst 9-10 driver from amd though.

I expect the 5770 would be similar...?

cheers Evan.

Comment

Hi Yall & Evan,

when trying to install Catz 9.10, did you...

cd /usr/share/ati
        sh ./fglrx-uninstall.sh
        cd /whatever directory you have the cat-9.10.
        sh *.run

*BFN*

GreekGeek :-)

Comment

Originally posted by GreekGeek View Post
          Hi Yall & Evan,

when trying to install Catz 9.10, did you...

cd /usr/share/ati
          sh ./fglrx-uninstall.sh
          cd /whatever directory you have the cat-9.10.
          sh *.run

*BFN*

Hi GreekGeek, there's no fglrx-uninstall.sh script as part of the ubuntu restricted fglrx driver. Although I did uninstall all the fglrx* packages and xorg-driver-fglrx package first before installing cat-9.10

Cheers, Evan.

Comment

Hi Yall & Evan,

Hmmm. I've just re-read the "Offical Support List" & ....

<snip>
            AMD Desktop Product Family Support
            ATI Radeon? HD 5800 Series
            <snip>

Specifically the HD 5700 Series is *not* mentioned. Hence, there is only some sort of partial support.

Any insights on this Bridgman?

Howz about other users of the HD 5700 series?

Evan, do you get any error messages when trying to intall Cat-9.10? Does it install ok & then give you that PIA hardware no supported blah, blah, blah....?

Comment

This new update is already a step forward, it solves some problems, and this feature is not even mentioned in the release file.
              The driver can do overscan through the amdccle which gives me for the first time a fullscreen picture without tricks on my Toshiba LCD panel.
              Also there is now a tab with HDTV setup and a colourbar frame for adjusting the colour quaility.
              Therefore my guess is video accel in the near future...

awaiting the news

8of9

Comment

out of interest anyone having problems with.....

installing on opensuse 2.6.31.3.1?

keeps on insiting that i dont have the kernel devel package in the install log but have headers and source installed as well as the usual libs.......

Comment

I think we're going about what this big feature is the wrong way:
                  everyone's expecting hardware acceleration, and it looks like AMD's run into a bit of trouble with it, so we've got the next best feature:
                  DKMS support!!!

No longer must we wait months for a driver release to support our kernel, only to find our pet bug has yet to be addressed, and has spawned several offspring- now we can experience the excitement of running on totally unsupported kernel versions

Comment

Did anybody else have got problems to switch from U 9.10 radeon driver to fglrx in live mode?

The script usally can be executed from vt1 (ctrl-alt-f1) using

sudo sh install-fglrx-debian.sh

Tested a U 9.10 daily from hd with HD 4550 card. The kernel module does not load correctly then, i don't have got a hd install however.

Comment

Originally posted by acreda View Post
                      installing on opensuse 2.6.31.3.1?

keeps on insiting that i dont have the kernel devel package in the install log but have headers and source installed as well as the usual libs.......

I had also problems installing Cat 9.10 - under OpenSuse 11.1 64bit with 2.6.30 kernel.
                      It only installed after I did (possibly one can skip some of the things I did)

as root
                      cd /usr/src/linux (make sure it points to your running kernel)
                      make cloneconfig
                      make prepare
                      make -j4 (the number depends on how many cores your cpu has)
                      make modules
                      make mudules_install

Then the installer finished without error. Otherwise it put out a segfault while compiling/installing the driver and left the text screen with "shifted" text unusable.

Hope this helps
                      mibo

Comment

Working...
                      X