No announcement yet.

MB with ATI Radeon HD 4200 using sideport memory *only*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is a tiny bit slower, but not that extreme with ddr2/3 in dual channel. There the base speed is high enough. Some nv onboard only handle single channel that will decrease speed a bit. But usally memory thruput is high enough for the cpu that you will not notice the difference. You do not save minutes when you add a gfx card when you compile a kernel or so. You can compare that like when you would use cheap standard memory and somebody else uses oc memory. You only see the diff in memory benchmarks.

Comment

I have an Asus m3n78-t with the 790gx and I only use the sideport memory and it runs great. I did notice a lot of corruption when I was using both sideport and ram, until I noticed the speeds the memories were running at -- I overclocked my ram to run at the same speed as the sideport, and voila, no more corruption.

I like my ram so I only run on sideport but its fast enough to run everything smoothly without too much harm on the CPU. When running with PCI-E 7950-GX2 with videos load, cpu is at ~20-30%.

Same thing with the integrated AMD 3300HD cpu is ~30-40%, so its not top of the line, nor does it have a gig of vram, but it works.

Its a great board, don't know about the 4200 but there are FGLRX drivers so it will probably work.

Comment

Working...
      X