No announcement yet.

Linux AMDGPU Control Application Adds vBIOS Dumping, Fan Control Hysteresis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, and people criticize the Nvidia drivers, at least they have an official configuration GUI, even though it's rather old. You can't really say that AMD's Linux support is great if even basic things like VRAM, temperature and power monitoring cannot be accessed without the command line and cryptic commands, AMD should really get their act together, especially since the Adrenalin driver GUI on Windows is top notch and better than anything Nvidia offers.

Comment

Originally posted by numasan View Post

What does that even mean?
      I don't understand your confusion. I guess ill break the sentence down

> there are plenty of native rust gui toolkits now,

This means that there are a lot of native rust gui toolkits, Gui toolkits or frameworks that are written predominately in rust, and only use non rust parts for the OS tidbits. for example would be using wgpu/glow for graphics, winit for window creation. You often need to use non native rust components to hook into system calls, (glibc or musl), and IIRC stuff like glow are bindings for the lower level GL stuff. so we can't really completely escape non native rust bits. However nearly all of the core gui toolkit is rust.

Apps like this when you compile them will be statically linked unless the application themselves have other needs.

> most of them have better perf then GTK

They perform better then GTK does. Graphics performance is a big win for all of the toolkits. and CPU perf is generally better as well​

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

> most of them have better perf then GTK

They perform better then GTK does. Graphics performance is a big win for all of the toolkits. and CPU perf is generally better as well​
        That's what I don't get - are we talking fractions of milliseconds? GTK feels plenty snappy on my systems.

Comment

Originally posted by numasan View Post

That's what I don't get - are we talking fractions of milliseconds? GTK feels plenty snappy on my systems.
          using GTK apps on very low end systems is a massive pain. the gpu perf causes significant issues. GTK4 is a large improvement over GTK3 but its still pretty bad.

using a couple GTK applications like flatseal, gnome's store app etc. basic apps, can have an appreciable impact. On GPU related tasks like watching a video, if you use GTK applications while Chrome is open playing YouTube, you can actually visibly see the video stutter more as you open more GTK apps and that just doesn't happen with QT and Cosmic apps I've noticed. At least not to the same degree.

Ive tested on my Lenovo N22 and chuwi hi10x

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

Such as?
            First one that hit my eye was arbitrary fan curves compared to 4 preset locations. But there was something else also that i don't remember any more.

Also it's nice to have the graph in the main window instead of having to pop out a second window to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by rob-tech View Post
              Yes, and people criticize the Nvidia drivers, at least they have an official configuration GUI, even though it's rather old. You can't really say that AMD's Linux support is great if even basic things like VRAM, temperature and power monitoring cannot be accessed without the command line and cryptic commands, AMD should really get their act together, especially since the Adrenalin driver GUI on Windows is top notch and better than anything Nvidia offers.
              Hi, welcome to Linux. You're not going to enjoy your time here if your answer to something that you want to exist not existing is to complain. Learn how to lend a hand if you care that much. TANSTAAFL

Comment

Originally posted by TheMightyBuzzard View Post

Hi, welcome to Linux. You're not going to enjoy your time here if your answer to something that you want to exist not existing is to complain. Learn how to lend a hand if you care that much. TANSTAAFL
                well he doesnt give a hand to nvidia but what do you know...nvidia actually gives a support application too.
                now why is amd so crap with their support. even their on amd driver is crap compared to open source one. i know you gonna say that amd helps with open source and that amd official driver is open source but why the hell do we the user need to create our own app to use the part we've paid so much money. (not like i have any dGPU )

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

Runtime pm sysfs interface: https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documenta...-devices-power

E.g.,
                  Code:
                  cat /sys/class/drm/cardX/device/power/runtime_status
                  Replace X with the card the represents your dGPU. If it's on, it will say "active", if it's off "suspended". There are other intermediate states as well per the documentation above.
                  Is there a way in Linux to go higher on 7900 XTX than the vanilla 315w? I’m on a Sapphire Nitro+ and turning the second VBIOS on still limits my power to that. The sysfs interface also denies any increase. Running CP2077 (RT on or off doesn’t matter), the card is 100% of the time at max power usage and. ot clocking as high as it could, or reaching max temps, so it’s easy to see I’m power starved and leaving performance on the table.

Comment

Working...
                  X