No announcement yet.

ROCm 6.1 Released With Ubuntu 22.04.4 Support, rocDecode For AMD Video Decode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree. AMD needs more standard consumer graphics cards to be usable no matter the time to produce. This market is for the noobs and non professorial to get their feet wet and start learning. AMD is currently focused on those that have the money to spend on their high-end equipment and already have an understanding of the technology. This is why I've been hesitant to upgrade my hardware and still stick with them just to game. Having a consumer product that fits in a M1 case that allows me to learn and also take breaks just to game is what is driving NVIDIA. Since they are also the only company that fits this market, they can exploit to maximize profits. For AI to be truly useful it must be able to run on a laptop and low-end hardware, AKA the market for automation.

Comment

I mean yeah RDNA1 is not supported by rocm at all, nor was it ever. This is kinda bad, but to be fair rnda1 was marketed as a gaming only gpu not ment for compute.
      On actually supported chips (vega10, vega20, navi21, navi31, cdan1, cdna2, cdna3) rocm works quite well, with little issues.

Comment

Originally posted by DiamondAngle View Post
        On actually supported chips (vega10, vega20, navi21, navi31, cdan1, cdna2, cdna3) rocm works quite well, with little issues.
        navi 21 and 31 were marketed with support for Rocm? Up to 5.7.0, the Radeon VII was the only supported consumer card. 5.7.1 brought official 7900 XT(X) support one year after release. All older cards are not officially supported. At least on Windows, the 6000 Series is supported as well. Windows support started 6 months after the 7900 release. So if these cards are marketed with ROCm support, their support is officially a mess...

Comment

It won't even install on Ubuntu 24.04 beta using the --no-dkms flag. Had to revert to 6.0.
          Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
          Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

the official support table can be ignored, no where dose rocm or any rocm library check what card you have, only the llvm target matters, if it matches its fully supported by the code. While in theory the exact card might matter for customer support, i have reported bugs against rx6800xt and various instinct cards and the devs dont care about that either, again it only matters that the llvm target is a officially supported one. So yes all navi21 cards are for instance fully supported.
            Last edited by DiamondAngle; 18 April 2024, 11:09 AM.

Comment

again it only matters that the llvm target is a officially supported one.
              Where can I read about officially supported llvm targets?

Comment

I mean yeah RDNA1 is not supported by rocm at all, nor was it ever. This is kinda bad, but to be fair rnda1 was marketed as a gaming only gpu not ment for compute.
                The Radeon Pro W5500 and W5700 exist. I happen to own a W5500 in addition to a bunch of RDNA 1 / 2 consumer cards. Having current architecture family "pro" cards not officially supported by your GPU compute framework is just stupid.

Comment

Working...
                X