Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadeonSI OpenGL CTS Tests Running ~30% Faster With Mesa 24.1

Phoronix: RadeonSI OpenGL CTS Tests Running ~30% Faster With Mesa 24.1

Open-source AMD Linux graphics driver engineer Marek Olšák who is known for his focus on the Gallium3D code has shown no signs of slowing down when it comes to discovering new areas to further enhance the performance and tune the RadeonSI Gallium3D driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Zink right now :
    ​​Finally!_A_worthy_opponent!.jpg

Comment

I would have thought Zink to be much more compatible and performant at this point, disappointing imho. It just works poorly compared to where DXVK got much earlier in its development. Which is a pity, as I suppose lots of users would like to get rid of the most regressing component in their system after the Linux kernel, which probably is RadeonSI...

Comment

Me: Yay! Another gain for the best OpenGL driver to squeeze even more performance out of my AMD GPU.

Other Linux / Phoronix users: wHo nEeDS nATivE oGL DriVErs. ZiNk sHOulD rEPlAcE THem aLL.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
          I suppose lots of users would like to get rid of the most regressing component in their system after the Linux kernel, which probably is RadeonSI...
          If you're talking about regressions in games, maybe you've experienced them in some games that I don't have, but for the last 7 years or so, I've literally experienced only 1 RadeonSi regression in Dirt Rally (the native port) which I reported myself and which was fixed fairly quickly. I've also had 0 non gaming regressions.

So Idk where did you get this impression of users wanting to get rid of RadeonSi due to regressions. From looking at the Mesa issue tracker in Gitlab, I also wouldn't say RadeonSi is over represented in reported issues.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
            Me: Yay! Another gain for the best OpenGL driver to squeeze even more performance out of my AMD GPU.

Other Linux / Phoronix users: wHo nEeDS nATivE oGL DriVErs. ZiNk sHOulD rEPlAcE THem aLL.
            From my understanding, this optimization is at gallium level and is only enabled for radeonsi for now, meaning it can be enabled for zink and other gallium drivers later on.

I keep thinking Zink should replace them all…

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
              From my understanding, this optimization is at gallium level and is only enabled for radeonsi for now, meaning it can be enabled for zink and other gallium drivers later on.
              I know, but that still doesn't change the fact that RadeonSi is the fastest, most optimized and mature OpenGL driver currently available. With ACO support for RadeonSi finished in Mesa 24.0, it should now be even faster. I've already noticed slight gain in 2 games with ACO.

I keep thinking Zink should replace them all…
              Unless you don't own an AMD GPU, I personally find it really weird not wanting to get the most out of your GPU.​ In other cases like Nouveau or Asahi when there is no mature and performant OpenGL driver? Sure, Zink makes much more sense.
              Last edited by user1; 16 March 2024, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Zink has nothing to do with the Gallium NIR linker improvements in this merge request. Asahi and other Gallium GL/GLES drivers are more likely.

Zink uses the Vulkan API and indirectly uses the compiler/linker present in Vulkan drivers, which in turn do not use Gallium.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

I still think that every higher level API should be implemented on top of Vulkan and Vulkan should be the only native supported API. Few percent of performance is good price for much easier maintenance. And if you want to get the most performance from your GPU use Vulkan, it was designed for that and it's can provide better results than OpenGL or Direct3D <= 11.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                    Which is a pity, as I suppose lots of users would like to get rid of the most regressing component in their system after the Linux kernel, which probably is RadeonSI...
                    Getting faster means regressing to you? Maybe you're out of luck, because I never had problems with the Linux kernel or AMD driver.

Comment

Working...
                    X