No announcement yet.

Lisa Su Says The "Team Is On It" After Tweet About Open-Source AMD GPU Firmware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the 29 February I told Panix: "AMD should spend more on software" https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...19#post1446819

In a previous post in the same thread I said that AMD should be paying George Hotz who runs Tiny Corp. Now just a few days later this happens. Meanwhile here on Phoronix...

"So, you're another AMD shill here, huh? Don't tell the truth about AMD gpu hardware - all the other sites are wrong...lol - even though they seem to be saying the same thing. You don't want to talk about the software but how good the hardware is? LOL!"
    I've got to say I love the mature conversation between highly intellectuals we have here.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post
      It's still hard to take AMD seriously on any comments related to GPU compute. There was that 'big things are coming soon for ROCm we pinky swear!' message. George's message is accurate but applies at a much higher level. 'FIX YOUR SHIT! ' applies to their entire strategy around GPU compute.

AMD market cap: $340B
      NVIDIA market cap: $2.2T

Basic logic says that as the x86 CPU leader (at least in terms of current tech/arch/performance/efficiency) AND one of the two big GPU vendors, those numbers above should be reversed. And that $2.2T market cap has basically nothing to do with desktop or gaming. GPU compute rules the day. AMD's constant fail here is hard to understand. NVIDIA already wrote the playbook. The ROI is obvious. So indeed, AMD, fix your shit.
      Not sure how accurate those number are. If you consider that Nvidia's cap has doubled in the past ~year. I agree with your ideas and that the numbers have nothing "to do with desktop or gaming" which emphases the lack of accuracy even more.

I'm no economist but it doesn't take a genius to find out how much investment Nvidia has received in the past 2 years. I know where a lot of that funds are coming from. It's from people that don't know anything about compute. Nvidia has all their eggs in one basket and there's speculated regulation with growing social issues i.e. 4chan vs Taylor Swift and Musk vs Altman law suit that was started a few days ago. Things might be very different in a couple of years. Nvidia might even do better, but there's no doubt that it's high risk right now, meanwhile fund managers are investing part of their retirement packages in Nvidia. Smort

Still, I agree. Fix your shit is in order.
      Last edited by Jabberwocky; 06 March 2024, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post
        It's still hard to take AMD seriously on any comments related to GPU compute. There was that 'big things are coming soon for ROCm we pinky swear!' message. George's message is accurate but applies at a much higher level. 'FIX YOUR SHIT! ' applies to their entire strategy around GPU compute.

AMD market cap: $340B
        NVIDIA market cap: $2.2T
        Out of the 2 major ways for the mighty to make more money out of the rest of us:

- gather user data and sell it
        - process user data into knowledge (== power => money => ...)

AMD focused on the wrong one. They now know if you're "in front of the device" etc, they still have to expand that to broader surveillance.

Seems like google and M$ already gather more data than can be processed so NVIDIA prospers.

Comment

As somebody who is working on graphics and GPU compute libraries, open or mostly-open GPU firmware from any major vendor would be a massive opportunity to implement high quality debugging/profiling tools.

Comment

How many more of such incidents will it take until he quits?
            (Time will tell.)

Comment

Wasn't AMD meant to be looking at opening their PSP code? What ever came of that?

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post

Not sure how accurate those number are. If you consider that Nvidia's cap has doubled in the past ~year. I agree with your ideas and that the numbers have nothing "to do with desktop or gaming" which emphases the lack of accuracy even more.

I'm no economist but it doesn't take a genius to find out how much investment Nvidia has received in the past 2 years. I know where a lot of that funds are coming from. It's from people that don't know anything about compute. Nvidia has all their eggs in one basket and there's speculated regulation with growing social issues i.e. 4chan vs Taylor Swift and Musk vs Altman law suit that was started a few days ago. Things might be very different in a couple of years. Nvidia might even do better, but there's no doubt that it's high risk right now, meanwhile fund managers are investing part of their retirement packages in Nvidia. Smort

Still, I agree. Fix your shit is in order.
                Well, NVIDIA is basically printing money for a lot of people. I invested a small amount in NVIDIA a while back. It's up 1200%. I wish I would have invested more. There is at least another quarter (probably several) of AI driven frenzied growth before people need to worry about cashing out.

Comment

Nvidia is pumping their stocks before CUDA's strangle hold falls apart... that's my opinion anyway. They already completely lost the super computer market to AMD. And are loosing HPC from the large systems down as mindshare shifts.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
                    Nvidia is pumping their stocks before CUDA's strangle hold falls apart... that's my opinion anyway. They already completely lost the super computer market to AMD. And are loosing HPC from the large systems down as mindshare shifts.
                    All you have to do is look at the financial disclosure statements from both companies to see how wrong you are.

If we compare AMD, Intel and NVIDIA in terms of financials, AMD is a pimple on their asses, each of them could buy and sell AMD numerous times over.
                    Last edited by sophisticles; 06 March 2024, 04:28 PM.

Comment

I think it's hysterical that this guy thinks that AMD open sourcing everything is the solution because he thinks he can fix what's wrong.

I suspect the problem is hardware related, if AMD's engineers who designed the hardware can't get the software to work right, then no one outside the company will either.

This guy is right that AMD needs to their stuff, but not in the way he thinks.

AMD needs to fix their hardware.

Comment

Working...
                      X