Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD FreeSync Video Facing Retirement In Linux 6.9

Phoronix: AMD FreeSync Video Facing Retirement In Linux 6.9

Back in 2020 AMD rolled out a video mode optimization for FreeSync on Linux, continued being revised in 2021, FreeSync Video mode then attempted by default in 2022 but then was reverted and then only last year FreeSync Video enabled by default. But now come Linux 6.9, the feature appears to be effectively retired...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

AMD's new frame generation method (available in 24 series drivers in Windows) comes with a compatible (and new) sync method. It works just fine based on my experience, effectively eliminates tearing. FreeSync is not compatible with that and it is apparently being removed now. I hope this means the Linux drivers will be updated to include the new capabilities.

Comment

Does hardware still need to support it? Is it just completely ubiquitous now and I've been off the market too long?

Comment

Originally posted by tsuru View Post
        Does hardware still need to support it? Is it just completely ubiquitous now and I've been off the market too long?
        FreeSync support remains, and does require hardware support.

This was just a little hack AMD made to better support video use cases back when compositors weren't really handling FreeSync very well.

Comment

I described what this does a while ago here:
          Phoronix: AMDGPU Linux Driver Enabling FreeSync Video By Default, Improved Power Savings AMD's open-source Linux graphics driver engineers have out a rather significant set of patches this week to their display code "DC" for the AMDGPU kernel graphics driver... https://www.phoronix.com/news/AMDGPU-FS-Video-Default-PS

My original bug report is actually linked to in the bug report link in the article. Basically, with the diversity of desktop environments, adding a type of vendor-specific video mode that can't be distinguished from real modes and secretly lacks vrr support isn't the best idea.

Comment

Originally posted by tsuru View Post
            The new "Enhanced Sync" does not need hardware support. It is there to support "Fluid Motion" frame generation. It works fine for me in place of FreeSync when Fluid Motion is on.
            ​​​​​

Comment

AMD had a FreeSync for Video hardware feature for Windows many years ago, but I don't know if anyone ever got it working, cause it was a separate feature that had to be implemented with an SDK. It pretty much disappeared and nobody has talked about it, not that anyone was really talking about it back then either, due to lack of use.

Comment

Working...
              X