AMD/ATI lost another Linux customer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AdrenalineJunky View Post
    i disagree - for the strong majority of people and purposes anything beyond a phenom 955 is largely overkill. and as for the india crack - intel has tons of overseas jobs as well.
    for sure. but intel has also pumped a fair chunk of change to bring them back as a recession goal. I cant tell you how many companies regret moving R&D overseas and it makes alot of sense.

And no, in todays environment it is not overkill. Right now I am running XP and OSX visualized ontop of mint which is an already bloated linux distro. I could only wish i had more power. Not everyone is like me tho. Also you must think in terms of how quick your hardware will go obsolete. Sometimes it doesnt hurt to pay a little more if your system will take you that little bit longer. The strong majority of people dont have AAA games to play on linux either, doesnt help either argument but its worthy to note. Overbuying is an investment, maybe its overkill for a while but it doesnt take long for the software to catch up.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      Don't Intel chips have an "assembled in Malaysia" or something printed on them?
      some of them might, i dunno, all of the assembly and testing plants are outside the us, as well as many of thier wafer creation plants, and 5 of thier 9 research plants.

Comment

old news. last i heard they were being shifted around.

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
          for sure. but intel has also pumped a fair chunk of change to bring them back as a recession goal. I cant tell you how many companies regret moving R&D overseas and it makes alot of sense.

And no, in todays environment it is not overkill. Right now I am running XP and OSX visualized ontop of mint which is an already bloated linux distro. I could only wish i had more power. Not everyone is like me tho. Also you must think in terms of how quick your hardware will go obsolete. Sometimes it doesnt hurt to pay a little more if your system will take you that little bit longer. The strong majority of people dont have AAA games to play on linux either, doesnt help either argument but its worthy to note. Overbuying is an investment, maybe its overkill for a while but it doesnt take long for the software to catch up.
          i don't really consider future proofing a good reason to overbuy - let me put it this way, if you spend 2000 on a computer you will probably have more hardware then you need for at least the first year, then say 2 at more or less a comfortable level, and a year behind the curve.

if you buy a 1000 dollar computer every two years, you'll have a comfortable hardware level till you replace it, and never be behind the curve.personally that seems like a better solution to me.

and actually as far as R&D centers go the majority of AMD's are in the US, 8 out of 14.

Comment

old news. last i heard they were being shifted around.
            took that information from intels website as of a couple days ago. i looked it up for a discusion i was having at another forum.

Comment

not as of what intel is currently doing. You cant make a,production plant in 2 days and call it square. Maybe L33F3R can .

Similar to what i seen on CNN. Not sure if its the same time however.

Comment

not as of what intel is currently doing. You cant make a,production plant in 2 days and call it square. Maybe L33F3R can .

Similar to what i seen on CNN. Not sure if its the same time however.
                hmm, hadn't heard that - chip plants are different then R&D centers.

read a couple more stories and they are shutting down 3 asian plants and 2 american ones, citing that they were using outdated technology.

is cool that they are opening them all up in the us though.

Comment

personal preference tells me that it doesnt matter where something is made so much as it is good quality, my point was that amd sold 20% of their stock to pay the bills. This was some time ago and doesnt seem to be working for them.

Comment

so you should buy amd - because all amd cpus have hardware virt and nested pages, speeding up virtualization. unlike intel were only selcted cpus have hardware virt - and you have to choose between raw speed, sse versions and virtualization...

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
                      so you should buy amd - because all amd cpus have hardware virt and nested pages, speeding up virtualization. unlike intel were only selcted cpus have hardware virt - and you have to choose between raw speed, sse versions and virtualization...
                      Semprons don't have AMD-V, at least the currently available don't.

Comment

Working...
                      X