X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    for me.. i do not have any problem...

i use a catalyst9.9 beta

kernel 2.6.30 works, wine works in oblivion an other direktX9 games.

but yes i do not use Composit manager.. .. (full composit support witout patch your xserver will come on ubuntu 9.10 becourse intel put a bug in the xserver only affect amd-carts)

the wine spezific part of openGL3.2 is also in the beta driver..

only the geometric shader part dosn't exist right now.
    So, if you use a 'Catalyst' beta (aka experimental ATI driver?), 2D and 3D work flawlessly in Linux using a newer ATI card? Oh yeah, you need a recent Linux distro with at least 2.6.30 kernel?

Wouldn't people be jumping on this, then? An official announcement must be forthcoming?

I think I would really consider an ATI card then. At least, I could get one to replace my Geforce 7950 GT which works fine (I think) in any distro I've tried. There are issues when running a LiveCD or DVD though and it could be partly Nvidia-card related or just not being able to handle any card with whatever drivers are pre-loaded on the CD (this is with KDE4 desktop distros, btw).

I find it preplexing why ATI would still have so much trouble when some older Nvidia hardware works fine with any distro regardless of the kernel version.

Comment

whine

Originally posted by energyman View Post
      the hilarious thing is:
      AMD releases docs - and people still complain. Funny. Or sad. Depends on POV.
      One of the most basic attributes of humans is that they love to whine. Also, they hate to think too hard. And they want a pony.

This thread is a perfect example.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
        So, if you use a 'Catalyst' beta (aka experimental ATI driver?), 2D and 3D work flawlessly in Linux using a newer ATI card? Oh yeah, you need a recent Linux distro with at least 2.6.30 kernel?

Wouldn't people be jumping on this, then? An official announcement must be forthcoming?

I think I would really consider an ATI card then. At least, I could get one to replace my Geforce 7950 GT which works fine (I think) in any distro I've tried. There are issues when running a LiveCD or DVD though and it could be partly Nvidia-card related or just not being able to handle any card with whatever drivers are pre-loaded on the CD (this is with KDE4 desktop distros, btw).

I find it preplexing why ATI would still have so much trouble when some older Nvidia hardware works fine with any distro regardless of the kernel version.
        take it with a bit of salt. 2d is fine with current drivers too - as long as you don't use composite. And he claims to not use it... so it is not clear what happens if you use composite with the upcoming drivers.

They will probably out in the next 10 days, so we will all knew soon.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
          take it with a bit of salt. 2d is fine with current drivers too - as long as you don't use composite. And he claims to not use it... so it is not clear what happens if you use composite with the upcoming drivers.

They will probably out in the next 10 days, so we will all knew soon.
          2d is fine even with composite with 9.7, slightly slower than without but quite smooth nonetheless. 4850, x86_64 mode.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
            2d is fine even with composite with 9.7, slightly slower than without but quite smooth nonetheless. 4850, x86_64 mode.
            fine is a wide field. It is a bit slow, but bearable in my opinion, but too slow for a lot of people

Comment

The problem isn't the speed. At least not the biggest one. It's mainly the glitches and bugs when composite is enabled.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                The problem isn't the speed. At least not the biggest one. It's mainly the glitches and bugs when composite is enabled.
                Other than the intermittent black rectangles in Firefox that go away as soon as you scroll, what other issues are you seeing with composite enabled? Seems to be working pretty nicely here (and I have a feeling that most composite glitches can be traced back to Compiz rather than fglrx...)

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  as of installing 9.7 in 64 bit arch with kwin compositing the only buggs i have are related to playing videos.

with the opengl-ati redering in smplayer the a video will pause with transparency on move and wobbly windows while i'm moving it, with xv it does pause, but xv still has some pretty bad tearing issues.

in windowed every once in a while, with video playing, it will sort of loose track of where the borders of the video should be - so the video is playing over part of the area that should be reserved for smplayers controls, this has only happened a couple times.

in full screen mode if i move the mouse to where the control bar at the bottom of the screen pops up, the desktop image will flash on the screen for a fraction of a second, same thing happens if i hit the volume +/- quick-keys.

high def videos still have significant tearing issues with compositing on, Standard definition seems to work fine.

Comment

Originally posted by snogglethorpe View Post
                    One of the most basic attributes of humans is that they love to whine. Also, they hate to think too hard. And they want a pony.

This thread is a perfect example.
                    It's good to see that someone finally understood what-this-thread-is-all-about. Damn straight I'm whining!

I bought a 300usd card (yeah, I don't live in the US) a year ago and I still can't get decent support for it on Linux, with any of the available drivers.

I'm NOT complaining about AMD releasing the docs, I'm NOT complaining about AMD contributing to the community, I AM complaining about AMD's lack of support for modern distributions. Is it too much to ask? For NVIDIA and Intel, apparently it isn't.

Oh! And a pony would be nice too. They look tasty!

Comment

• Originally posted by Qaridarium
                      Fedora isn't a modern distribution only a cow to milk for redhat ....

why is redhat not buy an VGA dev companie like VIA/S3 and make better and opensource drivers??

ah yes... redhat dosn't care abaut your litle dreams!

becourse redhat only makes mony on servers and workstations...

and thats the fakt servers and workstations do not care abaut modern distributions like fedora becourse fedora is only to melk cow's like you!
                      Oh! Stop it! You're making me blush...

Which company is the leading contributor to the Linux kernel?

Perhaps Redhat should start putting some of that money into Aspell.

Comment

Working...
                      X