HDMI Forum Rejects Open-Source HDMI 2.1 Driver Support Sought By AMD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by citral View Post
    I don't get the article nor the comments, been using a 6700XT and 8700G with a LG C3 tv and I get 4k@120 with a hdmi 2.1 cable. And HDR too with ChimeraOS.
    That will be operating in HDMI 2.0 mode, not 2.1. It's a huge difference in protocol between those two. HDMI 2.1 is a whole new thing. Like doing PCI-E over SATA cables.

Comment

• Originally posted by user556 View Post

That will be operating in HDMI 2.0 mode, not 2.1. It's a huge difference in protocol between those two. HDMI 2.1 is a whole new thing. Like doing PCI-E over SATA cables.
      Yes, reading the comments in the thread I realize that now. I've found the picture was maybe not as great as it could in this mode, but it really didn't bother me all that much I guess.

Either way further digging into it, I ordered a 15€ DP to hdmi adapter from AE that will fix it until it's solved.

I hate hdmi as much as the next sensible person, but using linux since 1998 I've come to peace with such minor inconveniences over time.

People act entitled and make a huge deal of such things like it's the end of the world, Idk. Windows has its lot of quirks too. And you can't even look deeply/debug them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anux View Post
        Hehe, for a short moment I thought you may come with an argument. Should have known better. You can make a green cross in your trolling diary.
        Trolling is solely your domain - you offered something utterly preposterous and unrealistic, prolly for fun.

Comment

• Is there a way we can report the HDMI Forum for false advertising?

Their website says they are attempting to "foster interoperability", which you cannot do by closing down the spec availability.

Comment

• Originally posted by avis View Post
            Trolling is solely your domain - you offered something utterly preposterous and unrealistic, prolly for fun.
            Feel free to see it that way, if it helps you sleep better at night.

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post
            Well there are in the US (and a few other places), and that is quite a large market plus all tech companies including distributions have people and locations there.
            Yes but look at Ubuntu, you can check a box on install to get patent encumbered codecs installed and this doesn't seem to be a problem even in the US. Why would it be different with HDMI?

Comment

• Originally posted by Spacefish View Post
              If you want to use for example 4k 120fps on your TV, you have to use DP, as HDMI 2.1 can´t deliver that bandwidth without sacrificing image quality due too display stream compression.
              4k (3840x2160) 120Hz at 10bpc is 32.27Gbps, way below HDMI 2.1's (FRL6) 42.6Gbps.

Did you mean 5k (5120x2880) 120Hz at 10bpc or HDMI 2.0?

Assumption here is the regular CVT-R2 timing.

Comment

• I must be missing something here

Running an AMD 6800xt on OSS driver and have LG OLED 4k 120hz VRR via HDMI

Comment

• Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

Well there are in the US (and a few other places), and that is quite a large market plus all tech companies including distributions have people and locations there.

Clean room implementation was a suggestion from some one in this thread, AMD didn't do a clean room implementation AFAIK, so this leap of logic does not apply.
                  AMD can't legally do it. They have access to the spec and proprietary implementations of it. They are tainted already. The developers of a clean room implementation would have to be able to prove to a court that they've never had any contact or influence or any kind of relationship with it. AMD already does.

A group of people like us definitely could because we can prove that.

It's not a leap of logic, it's actual law. That has already been tested in court. There already exists plenty of case law.

EDIT: Recently the US supreme Court presided over a case concerning googles implementation of java. Ideologically it was similar to this circumstance. In the end they didn't even consider the technical argument and cited fair use. Like I said, if you can prove you had no influence or relationship to it AND you can prove it was done compliant with clean room techniques for reverse engineering AND you can prove it was necessary for interoperability, then it -is- legal. This scenario clearly falls under fair use, not dmca.
                  Last edited by duby229; 01 March 2024, 11:18 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pete910 View Post
                    I must be missing something here

Running an AMD 6800xt on OSS driver and have LG OLED 4k 120hz VRR via HDMI

Look at your picture.

You're running 8bpc with YCbCr 4:2:0, which takes half the bandwidth of 4:4:4, so 12.91Gbps, which fits inside HDMI 2.0 speeds (FRL2).

Also, is your display really DCI 4k, i.e. 4096x2160? Most are 3840x2160. If you are, then it's 13.71Gbps, which still fits inside FRL2.
                    Last edited by stesmi; 01 March 2024, 11:04 AM.

Comment

• I would really like to hear Alex Deucher or John Bridgmans opinion on what they think about it.

Comment

Working...
                      X