HDMI Forum Rejects Open-Source HDMI 2.1 Driver Support Sought By AMD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rene View Post
    I don't get what the problem shoudl be? Code is code, not trademark. If AMD has working code just publish the patch. Also don't name it HDMI, but NotDMI instead, ... what problem is left then? It is obviously implemented in the hardware. Just toggle the right bits. Totally don't see what the problem should me.
    AMD doesn't want to lose their license.

Comment

Is HDMI-CEC also not implemented on PCs because of licensing limitations?

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
        I don't get what the problem shoudl be? Code is code, not trademark. If AMD has working code just publish the patch. Also don't name it HDMI, but NotDMI instead, ... what problem is left then? It is obviously implemented in the hardware. Just toggle the right bits. Totally don't see what the problem should me.
        Talk to your lawyer, who can explain it to you. If you don't want to talk to *your* lawyer, you will need to accept the summary from AMD's lawyers who say they can't do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Spidey View Post
          Is HDMI-CEC also not implemented on PCs because of licensing limitations?
          HDMI-CEC *is* implemented on some iGPU PC's, but they typically use additional chips to support it (and adding it to a dGPU also means adding additional firmware to support the additional communications lane to the dGPU). Additional chips are board space, and cost, (and IP licensing) and sometimes the customer wants cheap.

Comment

HDMI Forum has shown their true face. DON'T SUPPORT GREEDY COMPANIES
            Last edited by Kjell; 28 February 2024, 05:31 PM.

Comment

It would be such a shame if the AMD engineer were to leak that patch

Comment

Originally posted by Gaspesie View Post
                Which companies are shareholders in this organization?
                Ah...MS. Apple, Nvidia, Broadcom etc...
                Hummmm !!!
                ā€‹
                The worst companies!

I wonder why Intel didn't join forces with AMD on this one!
                Anyway, I hope somebody sues of fines them until they cut the crap!

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post
                  Time for AMD, X.Org and the Linux foundation to sue those assholes.
                  Plus all TV manufacturers that dont include at least one DP on their tvs.
                  I'm not sure if they can be sued for this.
                  But the second part seem real. The European Commission may force manufacturers to provide alternatives to HDMI (see Type-Cā€‹ chargers case).
                  Last edited by xAlt7x; 28 February 2024, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post

HDR10 is, HDR10+ is not
                    Last I checked, Samsung and Panasonic created HDR10+ as a royalty-free alternative to Dolby Vision.

In any event, It looks like my action items are zero because my setup is already entirely DisplayPort.

Comment

I can't wait for these mafias to disappear, they're nothing more than patent trolls at this point

Comment

Working...
                      X