AMD Catalyst 9.7 For Linux Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fran View Post
    And you can scratch suspend from my previous list: I've just tested using the gnome suspend dialog (instead of the custom script I used to use) and it works flawlessly with the OS driver . So it's just KMS, power throttling and 3D (all of them very close to be supported).
    I can't wait, actually. Unfortunately, it will probably take a few years to see any real 3d support (OpenGL 1.3/1.5 is pretty useless nowadays, I am talking about 2.1/3.0+).

Comment

For me the latest 9.7 drivers showed some progress.

Less Tearing, XV works a way better with composite on.

I am using Ubuntu 9.04 and I could fix a few problems with compiz by turning off "unredirect_fullscreen_windows" with gconf-edtior found in apps->compiz->general->screen0->options.

X-Server with no-backfill for Ubuntu 9.04, delivers a workaround for the resize problem. Downside is, Gnome/Compiz startup is really slow, but works fine after hidung/unhiding a few windows.

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-x-sw...ackfill/ubuntu jaunty main
      deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-x-sw...ackfill/ubuntu jaunty main

sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 0x643dc6bd56580ceb1ab4a9f63b22ab97af1cdfa9

The only real regressions I am experiencing now are:
      • broken standby/suspend
      • about 30% lower OpenGL performance compared to XP in ET: Quake Wars Still tearing
      • I can't enable PC-levels for XV
      • black screen protions
      • hiding/unhiding XV causes Video going black with compiz on

In general I can say about this release progress is there but it takes too long.
      Last edited by Muad'Dib; 25 July 2009, 05:39 PM.

Comment

People should be complaining

For those of you who are saying that people just need to STFU and quit complaining maybe you should take your own advice. Some people do have unreasonable expectations, however I haven't seen a lot of unreasonable expectations in this thread. To me an unreasonable expectation is someone expecting whatever game to work flawlessly in WINE. That is such a small segment of the Linux consumer market. I don't expect to be able to play games in Linux, yet. Here's hoping for the future though. I simply want a usable desktop. I'm glad fglrx works fine for you, but it does't for me. It doesn't even provide a decent desktop experience, with or without compositing. For me when fglrx is installed and compositing is off I can't even move a simple window around my screen without it jerking all over the place.

I don't think my expectations are that high. I simply want the following.

-Windows that behave the way they are supposed to. Moving them around and resizing them is smooth.

-Smooth xv video playback.

-Compositing working so I can have some simple Kwin OpenGL not XRender desktop effects. You can't even use half of Kwin's effects with XRender.

-Stability. No funky mysterious black artifacts that randomly appear on my screen or random self duplicating windows.

As it stands I have none of this when using fglrx. I know the open source driver is in development and when Karmic is released will probably fulfill all of my above expectations. I'm not bashing anyone's work or calling anyone incompetent when I state my complaints. I know some people do in their posts, but they shouldn't. I'm studying computer science and I'm a senior. I have lots of programming experience and knowledge of how hardware works. I know it's not a simple thing to get it working. A lot of people do not understand the amount of work that goes into making something simple work. Once I'm a graduate and no longer constantly tied up with frigain homework I will find ways to contribute to Linux then I'll be taking criticism for my work.

To summarize here's what I want that I can't do. Have my $200 video card work with Linux well enough that I can use Linux on a daily basis and then only boot into Windows when I want to play a game. Seeing as how fglrx is meant for workstations you would think that I could meet those expectations, except for the compositing. Anyway, everyone reading this that works on any driver for Linux keep up the good work.

Comment

just in case you haven't checked - is dri enabled (glxinfo | grep direct)? Because, if you're the only one with those issues, there could always be the possibility that your system isn't set up correctly.
          Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by skywarp04 View Post
            ..I'm not bashing anyone's work or calling anyone incompetent when I state my complaints. I know some people do in their posts, but they shouldn't. I'm studying computer science and I'm a senior. I have lots of programming experience and knowledge of how hardware works. I know it's not a simple thing to get it working. A lot of people do not understand the amount of work that goes into making something simple work. Once I'm a graduate and no longer constantly tied up with frigain homework I will find ways to contribute to Linux then I'll be taking criticism for my work.
            you're looks funny, mister
            I've seen somebody make comments on fglrx (that it unusable and is a piece of crap). Well, he's half right. When you buy something, you want to use it right at that moment. Not to use it 2 or 3 years from the time you bought that stuff, right? And for hardware like graphic card, when you bought the card, you too, received the driver, and of course the one that bought that item want to have a _working_ driver. If he's not, he should complaint. Oh, and people don't want to care/to know about how hard ones have to make ones product to work. They bought from you, and you're responsible for what you sold, that simple; The half that's not right is, he is to be blamed too, for not doing his homework, gathering information about the product that he want to buy.

But then again, if we have zero people like that, companies like AMD/ATI will give up on open sourcing their stuff.

And yeah, something like this to can be better because there's someone complaining, someone bicthing about it (all we have now partially because of that, right?)

So? what is right? what is wrong? what is shouldn't, what is should?

Comment

Originally posted by Wintervenom View Post
              Woo-hoo:

Source | OP Thread
              The leaked driver still needs EXPORT_SYMBOL(find_task_by_vpid); in kernel/pid.c to work with 2.6.31.
              But other than that it seems to work quite well.

Comment

Yep, checked that

Originally posted by mirv View Post
                just in case you haven't checked - is dri enabled (glxinfo | grep direct)? Because, if you're the only one with those issues, there could always be the possibility that your system isn't set up correctly.
                Just a thought.
                Yes, I've been through all that. Glxinfo show the correct information. Fgl_glxgears gives good frame rates. I can even run Unigine benchmarks and get decent framerates, but using my computer for normal everyday tasks sucks when using fglrx. Like I said I can't even move a window around or resize it without problems.

At any rate I've given up using fglrx. I don't play games in Linux. I reverted back to the standard Jaunty radeon driver. It gives me everything I want except full OpenGL compositing. I have to use XRender which means I can only use a hand full of simple compositing effects in Kwin. This is acceptable for now. Thanks for the suggestion though mirv.

Comment

Sadly this driver is no good for me. Random X hangups, resizing still slow, but finally less tearing in videos. Had to go back to 9.5, the only driver that works okay on my machine. Running openSuSE(x86_64) with xserver 1.6.2

Comment

Originally posted by skywarp04 View Post
                    Yes, I've been through all that. Glxinfo show the correct information. Fgl_glxgears gives good frame rates. I can even run Unigine benchmarks and get decent framerates, but using my computer for normal everyday tasks sucks when using fglrx. Like I said I can't even move a window around or resize it without problems.

At any rate I've given up using fglrx. I don't play games in Linux. I reverted back to the standard Jaunty radeon driver. It gives me everything I want except full OpenGL compositing. I have to use XRender which means I can only use a hand full of simple compositing effects in Kwin. This is acceptable for now. Thanks for the suggestion though mirv.
                    Ah well, it was worth a try!

I still can't open amdcccle (!dpy->xcb->reply_data failed is the latest error message) but I'm quite certain there's something different about my system that causes. Buggered if I know what it is though.
                    Might reinstall everything a-fresh one day, just to clean out my system and make sure the lot is up to date.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wintervenom View Post
                      Woo-hoo:

Source | OP Thread
                      The download link is dead. Would anybody be kind enough to re-upload it? thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X