RADV Vulkan Video Encoding Still Being Worked On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hauberg View Post
    Is this lack of encoding support why battery life tends to be poor on my amd laptop when using zoom / teams?
    There is no lack of hardware support, VAAPI exists and work. But it depends on your browser and application I guess

Comment

Originally posted by M.Bahr View Post

Agreed! As far as i remember from the dev talk the reason why they prioritize h264 etc. is simply it's degree of distribution over other codecs. Open source codecs are definitely on their to do list.
      Well, I agree that H.264 and H.265 are very popular with a lot of media files using these codecs, but when it comes to web, because of Youtube, VP9 is very popular too.
      If Vulkan video decoding would support VP9 sooner, maybe Firefox will start to support Vulkan Video and reduce also the development / maintenance burden as this is a cross-platform standard and they should be able to use it the same code for both Linux and Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post

There is no lack of hardware support, VAAPI exists and work. But it depends on your browser and application I guess
        Yes support for videoencoding and decoding is actually in good shape on linux. However, while apps like zoom do support videoencoding and decoding on Windows there is no support for it in the linuxversion.

Browsers are also lacking support for it. For services like teams the browser needs to support hardwarevideoencoding and decoding with Web RTC which is not supported by any browser on Linux.
        Last edited by ripper81; 19 December 2023, 04:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
          I don't know if bad is the right term here since you can get quite decent results. I would agree that NVENC results seem to be a little better in terms of quality, but not that much if we only concern AV1
          It is a night and day difference from what I've seen on systems with 7800 XT and 4090 that I have direct access to. Nvidia's AV1 encoder has much tighter bitrate limits, but quality at something like 30mbit is vastly superior. It is basically absurd to even compare them.

Comment

Working...
          X