Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Enables VCN Region Of Interest "ROI" Video Encoder Support For Linux GPU Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sobrus View Post

That's true, but there is no such solution for manjaro (there used to be - nonfree.eu, but it is being disabled for branches other than unstable for some reasons).
    You can manually install libva from arch repo, but YMMV, you have to do it manually after each update. Minor annoyance, but still an annoyance.
    I will say this just dont use manjaro, it's a joke of an OS. if you want arch, just use arch.
    Someday it may get permanently disabled or entirely dropped from sources till patents expire. This is very unlikely, but who knows for sure?
    patents are expiring on h264 in 2024 for baseline and main profiles, 2025 for high svc and mvc, so those wont pose an issues after that at least. hevc is a ways out for patent expiry, but IMO I dont really care about that since streaming services shit on linux anyways, so you either get AVC, VP9 or AV1 on those that do support linux. HEVC was mostly used for DRMd content and it is being replaced with AV1 so IMO no major loss outside of bluray chads

Comment

That's true, but there is no such solution for manjaro (there used to be - nonfree.eu, but it is being disabled for branches other than unstable for some reasons).
      You can manually install libva from arch repo, but YMMV, you have to do it manually after each update. Minor annoyance, but still an annoyance.
      This is more a Manjaro issue in this case.

Anyway, all I wanted to say is that there is a "tendency" to disable proprietary codecs in the linux world and Radeons are first victim of it.
      There is no need to argue how hard it is to work around it, how many ppl know how to recompile mesa from source, or to show how much I am right or wrong.
      Someday it may get permanently disabled or entirely dropped from sources till patents expire. This is very unlikely, but who knows for sure?
      This "tendency" as you call it is essentially driven by the threat of legal actions from big companies based in the US where patented software are a thing.
      We managed to somehow prevent software patents here in Europe, that's why I'm confident this kind of feature will never be permanently removed.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
        I will say this just dont use manjaro, it's a joke of an OS. if you want arch, just use arch.
        I've been using Manjaro since 2013 on several machines and don't really understand all the hate it gets. Before Manjaro, I've been using Mint and OpenSUSE and if Manjaro is a joke, then these system are pure ****.
        I've never had any major issue with Manjaro Stable, reinstalled it always just because got new machine. Best OS I've used since Amiga, really.
        That said, I'm currently using Manjaro unstable with CachyOS repos and kernel so I may as well be using anything Arch based. But back in the day I didn't know how to install Arch, lol.

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
        patents are expiring on h264 in 2024 for baseline and main profiles, 2025 for high svc and mvc, so those wont pose an issues after that at least. hevc is a ways out for patent expiry, but IMO I dont really care about that since streaming services shit on linux anyways, so you either get AVC, VP9 or AV1 on those that do support linux. HEVC was mostly used for DRMd content and it is being replaced with AV1 so IMO no major loss outside of bluray chads
        Personally I've switched do VP9 last year and I find it better than HEVC for my use cases. But modern mirrorless cameras and smartphones output HEVC at 4K60P and bitrates exceeding 200Mbit/s, and HEIF for 10-bit stills.
        This is extremely taxing on the CPU, from all machines I own only the 5950x can play it back.
        This is not just BluRay thing. There is not a single camera (or smartphone) that outputs AV1/VP9 and JXL.
        HEIF and AAC are also patent encumbered.

Originally posted by spykes View Post
        This "tendency" as you call it is essentially driven by the threat of legal actions from big companies based in the US where patented software are a thing.
        We managed to somehow prevent software patents here in Europe, that's why I'm confident this kind of feature will never be permanently removed.
        Of course, but this is how it is. I don't blame linux community, just don't understand why they are happy with Intel driver and top-quality software codecs, just not Mesa/AMD.
        btw I'm from Poland and Manjaro is Germany based, but apparently still a subject to legal actions.

Last edited by sobrus; 18 December 2023, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Of course, but this is how it is. I don't blame linux community, just don't understand why they are happy with Intel driver and top-quality software codecs, just not Mesa/AMD.
          btw I'm from Poland and Manjaro is Germany based, but apparently still a subject to legal actions.
          I don't know what Manjaro is up to but on Fedora you need to enable HW decoding from RPMFusion for both Intel and AMD, so all Mesa drivers are in the same boat.

Comment

That mesa compile option does not affect Intel, only AMD, because Intel's VAAPI driver isn't part of Mesa. And Manjaro is being inconsistent, they don't enable the codecs in Mesa, but they do package Intel's out-of-mesa VAAPI driver. Makes no sense.

Comment

Damn, Marge is pulling some weight behind her keyboard I must say.

Comment

I've been using Manjaro since 2013 on several machines and don't really understand all the hate it gets. Before Manjaro, I've been using Mint and OpenSUSE and if Manjaro is a joke, then these system are pure ****.
                I've never had any major issue with Manjaro Stable, reinstalled it always just because got new machine. Best OS I've used since Amiga, really.
                That said, I'm currently using Manjaro unstable with CachyOS repos and kernel so I may as well be using anything Arch based. But back in the day I didn't know how to install Arch, lol.
                The devs constantly make bad decisions, grub customers, pinephone, apple devices etc. manjarno site has a small collection of a few of the issues they had

Personally I've switched do VP9 last year and I find it better than HEVC for my use cases. But modern mirrorless cameras and smartphones output HEVC at 4K60P and bitrates exceeding 200Mbit/s, and HEIF for 10-bit stills.
                This is extremely taxing on the CPU, from all machines I own only the 5950x can play it back.
                This is not just BluRay thing. There is not a single camera (or smartphone) that outputs AV1/VP9 and JXL.
                HEIF and AAC are also patent encumbered.
                perhaps you mean HEIC files. HEIF is the container spec, AVIF is a type of HEIF container. but I understand what you mean. AAC-LC isnt pattent encumbered, on AAC-hev2 and xhe. JXL hardware encoders arent a thing yet but it has been confirmed that they are being developed. so camera's wont implement it until at leas that is done. HEVC can indeed be pretty taxing for sure. this is a small loss indeed, but I reccomend transcoding any of that content anyways

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                  That mesa compile option does not affect Intel, only AMD, because Intel's VAAPI driver isn't part of Mesa. And Manjaro is being inconsistent, they don't enable the codecs in Mesa, but they do package Intel's out-of-mesa VAAPI driver. Makes no sense.
                  Intel may not have a compile option for it because it was separated from the beginning at least for recent GPU.
                  Anyway you may still need to activate a third party repo to activate VAAPI support on your Intel GPU.
                  From the Fedora documentation:
                  In a terminal, run vainfo to verify that VA-API works. If VA-API is disabled you're probably running on new hardware and you need intel-media-driver from RPM Fusion repository non-free. When running the newer driver, you may need to specify the "iHD" driver when running the vainfo command, like so: LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME=iHD vainfo

Comment

Working...
                  X