On the topic of "Open Source GPU drivers are a must"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the topic of "Open Source GPU drivers are a must"

Looks like someone on Phoronix really hates the truth but I'll try again, here, not in the news section not to draw a lot of unneeded attention and knee jerk reactions.

So, I've spent a few hours using AMD's amdgpu driver with the new RDNA3.0 iGPU, Radeon 780M.

1. Color output is outright broken, and I found an unresolved bug which was filed in ... April 2021.

Since I've swapped my RX 5700 XT with an RX 6800, some colors are very noticeably off with xf86-video-amdgpu. It is very noticeable with the top blue bar...

2. The driver crashes when trying to use VP9 HW video decoding acceleration in Firefox:

But these forums and r/Linux are choke full of people screaming off the top of the lungs how horrible NVIDIA is and how perfect are the open source drivers from Intel and AMD.

A truly pathetic showing from open source "fans". I quoted the term because real fans would be ashamed of the amount of hatred and animosity NVIDIA and now ... RedHat receive on these forums.

It's just ugly.

Have a nice day.
    Last edited by avis; 17 July 2023, 01:26 PM.

Those aren't the greatest examples of why nVidia's closed source driver isn't as bad as OSS fans make it out to be...In fact, considering the first one had a potential fix posted in the comments two years ago that you can apply to Mesa yourself and apparently fix the issue despite no official fix being in place yet, I'd say that you've inadvertently showed direct evidence of why OSS drivers are often better than closed source drivers with your own example: Even if the company doesn't provide a fix, there's more flexibility to find or make one.

The second bug is one you posted that was unable to be recreated, then on top of that in my own experience I've had zero issues with VP9 decoding on a 6700XT even when looking at the example link and clip...and besides, having to fall back to software decoding is a complete non-issue versus some of the reported problems with nVidia's drivers that solely come from the closed source nature of the drivers. (eg. Keeping up to date with the kernel ABI, etc.)

Also, nVidia receives the amount of hatred and animosity from OSS fans that they do because they've historically been fairly hostile to the OSS ecosystem wherever they're not personally benefiting from it with one of the most recent examples being their attempts to tried strong-arm Wayland in a specific direction even as the community made it clear they were going in another direction which is in complete opposition to the community-centred ethos of the OSS ecosystem, while Red Hat only started receiving their animosity after turning around and abandoning key part of the OSS ethos. Any OSS "fans" who aren't at least wary or annoyed with the types of actions I'm talking about apparently aren't that concerned about any of the stuff OSS is primarily focused on, so you have to question whether they're really for OSS or if they just heard "free beer" and wanted in without caring about anything that makes OSS, well, OSS.

Comment

Working...
    X