Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Updates FreeSync Panel Replay Support For Linux

Phoronix: AMD Updates FreeSync Panel Replay Support For Linux

Last month AMD Linux kernel driver patches revealed a new feature called FreeSync Panel Replay that is basically an improvement over Panel Self Refresh (PSR) for laptop displays. That code didn't make it for the recently-closed v6.5 merge window but this week AMD engineers did post a second iteration of the patches...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So this will not benefit desktop users with FreeSync displays in any way?

Comment

Originally posted by agurenko View Post
      So this will not benefit desktop users with FreeSync displays in any way?
      From https://wccftech.com/amd-freesync-pa...tatic-content/ :

It is essential to highlight that FreeSync Panel Replay and PSR cannot work together simultaneously. AMD argues that FreeSync Panel Replay is a superior feature to PSR since it can keep the synchronization between the source and the receiver, resulting in fewer delays. The feature will be limited to AMD Ryzen laptops with Display Core Next 3.1.4 and above.
      (emphasis mine)

Comment

Originally posted by panikal View Post
        >Display Core Next​ that's in bios?

Comment

Originally posted by pharmasolin View Post

What? How did you get that from what I wrote? Anyway declaring "Hey i'm a laptop" can be in BIOS via efi or acpi or determined through ids of chipsets etc. Locking this to laptops won't be hard if the only panels that end up supporting this are laptop panels.

Comment

Originally posted by pharmasolin View Post

AFAIK, it is the display part in the IO chiplet of Ryzen CPUs, I think agd5f or others can explain it better

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post

AFAIK, it is the display part in the IO chiplet of Ryzen CPUs, I think agd5f or others can explain it better
              DCN is the display block on radeon GPUs. DCN 3.1.4 is the version included in phoenix.

Comment

Working...
              X