Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Bringing ROCm To More RDNA3 GPUs Later This Year

Phoronix: AMD Bringing ROCm To More RDNA3 GPUs Later This Year

AMD has issued a formal announcement now for the ROCm 5.6 compute stack release that was already covered on Phoronix earlier today. In AMD's announcement of ROCm 5.6 though there is a tease of what's to come later this year.....

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

...lower-tier RDNA3...

XTX vs XT...

Later, here.

Comment

That was quick....🤔

Comment

Originally posted by vegabook View Post
        Had been discussed quite often in the recent past that ROCm is nice but it only is supported on expensive professional gear.

Comment

SR-IOV when?

Comment

so they decided not support first RDNA to make sure people who own AMD GPU and need to use AI will upgrade to newest AMD GPU ?

didn't think people will upgrade to NV GPU because CUDA is faster plus is better support and superior technology instead ?

why do i need to hacking so code to get my RDNA work with ROCm

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              SR-IOV when?
              For consumer GPUs? In our dreams?
              Originally posted by Aryma View Post
              so they decided not support first RDNA to make sure people who own AMD GPU and need to use AI will upgrade to newest AMD GPU ?
              Chicken and egg problem. Anyway, Lisa gives empty words full of promises. Seeing is believing.

I'll believe it when they make it happen and ROCm stops being a nightmare.

didn't think people will upgrade to NV GPU because CUDA is faster plus is better support and superior technology instead ?
              Not sure if hardware technology is superior, but software one from Nvidia is a zillion better.

I disrespect Nvidia for not being so Open Software friendly, but I respect them for their software support. Specially CUDA, OptiX and such stuff that works everywhere.
              why do i need to hacking so code to get my RDNA work with ROCm
              Because you are skilled enough for it but poor to buy Nvidia hardware?

I hope Intel gives competition. GPU market is an oligopoly still dominated by Nvidia.

I hope AMD wakes up someday...​

Comment

ROCm itself is ok, the issues I see are the incomplete support of their hardware and the few supported Linux distributions.

RDNA2 Navi22 i.e. gfx1031 and Navi23 i.e. gfx1032 including ALL mobile RDNA2 GPUs are still not on the list, "patching/hacking" Linux support for those GPUs into the ROCm compute libraries is doable but really time consuming. I hope they have it on the radar screen almost 2 years after the product launch.​

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                  I hope AMD wakes up someday...​
                  The only way is to make ZLUDA for AMD.

Comment

I can see why marketing people think those things should be on professional cards only, because "mo money", but they fail to realize they are missing potential consumers that don't have the chance to experiment with ROCm on their current GPUs, before committing to expend thousands on a pro card for serious work. So Nvidia continues gaining market share because some stupid decision was made years ago, and apparently the big honchos don't want to reverse course and assume a mistake was made, because that would make then look bad.

Comment

Working...
                    X