Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD ROCm 5.6 Released With A Focus On Improving AI

Phoronix: AMD ROCm 5.6 Released With A Focus On Improving AI

It was just one month ago that ROCm 5.5.1 debuted while overnight AMD has promoted ROCm 5.6 to stable with more improvements and a particular focus on enhancing the AI capabilities for Radeon GPUs and Instinct accelerators. The ROCm 5.6 release also arrives just two weeks after AMD CEO Lisa Su re-affirmed their support for ROCm and working with the community to further enhance it...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

ROCm supported GPUs
    vs
    CUDA supported GPUS.

LOL
    Last edited by vegabook; 29 June 2023, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Does it work with AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX ? how it performs against nvidia?

Comment

Originally posted by samuelec View Post
        Does it work with AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX ?
        It does.

Comment

Originally posted by vegabook View Post
          I like the distinction between "Radeon Pro" and "Radeon Pro".

Another question: Every Nvidia card has a "Compute Capability" listed. Is there something similar with AMD? It doesn't make much sense. When they drop GCN, they only support RDNA/CDNA based cards. But RDNA1 doesn't have raytracing capabilities. (AFAIK new Blender has a HIP-RT mode for RDNA2+) So there is a difference...

Comment

Originally posted by samuelec View Post
            Does it work with AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX ? how it performs against nvidia?
            On standard Stable Diffusion (pytorch 2.0) workload (512x512) it looks like this, take those values +-5%:

7900XTX: 16it/s (tested ROCM 5.5, slight OC)
            RTX 3080Ti: 20it/s
            RTX 4080: 27it/s

Comment

AMD Instinct MI50, Radeon Pro VII, and Radeon VII products (collectively referred to as gfx906 GPUs) will be entering the maintenance mode starting Q3 2023. This will be aligned with ROCm 5.7 GA release date.

No new features and performance optimizations will be supported for the gfx906 GPUs beyond ROCm 5.7

Bug fixes / critical security patches will continue to be supported for the gfx906 GPUs till Q2 2024 (End of Maintenance [EOM])(will be aligned with the closest ROCm release)

Bug fixes during the maintenance will be made to the next ROCm point release

Bug fixes will not be back ported to older ROCm releases for this SKU

Distro / Operating system updates will continue as per the ROCm release cadence for gfx906 GPUs till EOM.​
              The last GCN 5.1 card will lose official ROCm support in 2024.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathias View Post

I like the distinction between "Radeon Pro" and "Radeon Pro".

Another question: Every Nvidia card has a "Compute Capability" listed. Is there something similar with AMD? It doesn't make much sense. When they drop GCN, they only support RDNA/CDNA based cards. But RDNA1 doesn't have raytracing capabilities. (AFAIK new Blender has a HIP-RT mode for RDNA2+) So there is a difference...
                Is it a joke? What are they using?

Comment

Originally posted by vegabook View Post
                  ROCM 'unofficially' supports MANY more GPUs. For example I am running Stable Diffusion and Pytorch with Alpaca on my 6800XT.

Comment

Originally posted by gururise View Post

ROCM 'unofficially' supports MANY more GPUs. For example I am running Stable Diffusion and Pytorch with Alpaca on my 6800XT.
                    They can be serious for their ROCm support for consumer GPUs and strength efforts until those unofficial ones get official and a lot more than that. Meanwhile, Nvidia is enjoying hegemony
                    Last edited by timofonic; 29 June 2023, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X