No announcement yet.

AMD Prepares Linux Driver For New Feature: FreeSync Panel Replay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, faster data over longer distances chews notable power. CPU caches don't just boost performance, they also reduce power spent on thrashing DRAM.

Comment

Originally posted by user556 View Post
      The driver software in the computer will command the display to preserve sections of the display's copy of the frame buffer.
      Interesting, could this be used to reduce the transferred frame size if only a seconds counter in the corner changes the desktop?

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
        Interesting, could this be used to reduce the transferred frame size if only a seconds counter in the corner changes the desktop?
        As I imagine it, yep. Obviously that depends on the level of integration from the desktop to the driver.

PS: I haven't read any of the spec. I'm just putting 2 + 2 together. VRR features grew from similar ilk. DisplayPort changed the paradigm from a line sync'd transport based around analogue timings over to a frame-in-a-packet transport with lots of extendability. HDMI 1.x presumably can't do it. HDMI 2.x maybe is switchable, dunno.

Comment

It occurs to me this might not show up in many desktop efficiency benches. A bunch of those only bench load, not idle, and only some of those bench total system power usage when they are specifically concentrating on the GPU. So only some of them would even notice the DisplayPort turning off. As for the monitor, I don't know that anyone in the desktop space includes it in 'total system power usage', probably under the assumption that everyone has different monitors, so of what worth is that number? Of course the feature is for laptop where everyone will notice, but power spared is power spared just the same.

Comment

Teggs,
            You make it sound like the cat is both alive and dead at once.

There is plenty of power metering benchmarks done using external metering tools on the AC line. These happily cover the video port loading without including the display itself. Given they are easily separated, it would be a separate comparison for displays.

Comment

Originally posted by user556 View Post
              VRR features grew from similar ilk.​
              Yes and in some way this panel replay seems to be a successor to Low Framerate Compensation. Let's see what comes out of this.

Differential transfer is always an easy way to reduce traffic and therefore energy consumption.

Comment

Working...
              X