25 More Patches Further Improve RADV's Ray-Tracing For Complex Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25 More Patches Further Improve RADV's Ray-Tracing For Complex Games

Phoronix: 25 More Patches Further Improve RADV's Ray-Tracing For Complex Games

Overnight another 25 patches were merged to Mesa 23.2 for improving RADV's ray-tracing code after the merge request had been in the works for the past two months...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Some people feel like it takes too long for new tech to be adapted (especially in the gaming sphere) but with the careful understanding and discussions good solutions starts to appear, man I really love Open Source communities.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post
      Some people feel like it takes too long for new tech to be adapted (especially in the gaming sphere) but with the careful understanding and discussions good solutions starts to appear, man I really love Open Source communities.
      IMHO, it only takes too long for new tech to be adopted outside of Windows and, occasionally, macOS. The upside is that when that tech is finally adopted outside of WinMac it's usually a lot better and will last until the end of time.

I'm 100% with you with Open Source communities. One of the things that makes them so special, especially places like Phoronix, is that you can make a random comment about WTF ever and you might get a response from the developer or someone in the company and have a dialog about the issue at hand or someone involved in the project will provide the links and help to try to resolve the issue. I'm not going to name names because everyone who's a regular here knows them, but the folks from AMD, System76, Red Hat/Fedora, KDE, and GNOME are really good in that regard.

Comment

I got around to compiling mesa-git last night and playing a game with ray tracing. It was Resident Evil 2 so I probably could have picked a better game to test with.

While I didn't benchmark it aside from taking a mental note of my fps at the time, I did notice a slight improvement in the feels department at the start of Resident Evil 2. On my 6700XT with a, gasp, 4650G APU at 1440p with high/max settings, using the first zombie encounter and the fire scene, the game went from the zombie encounter being a choppy 20fps to being somewhat playable at 30fps. However, instantly after that, the fire scene went from 8 to 12 fps and was unplayable before and after. Lowering the res to 1080p and the graphics settings didn't help it become playable with ray tracing on. Regardless of playability, it seems like it gave a potential 20-30% increase and it did make a less intensive scene go from bad to acceptably playable.

Turning ray tracing off I'm able to get a smooth 1440p60 with all max settings (SSR and camera distortion disabled...still gets 60 with them on..I'm not always a fan of funky mirror floors).

Comment

Working...
        X