Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

request: how does rdna1 compare to the other amd generations on linux these days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• request: how does rdna1 compare to the other amd generations on linux these days?

hello,
    just bought a 5700xt and was wondering how well this generation works on linux? the thing is my frame of reference is mostly hearing others talking about their experiences on polaris, or rdna2. and the news feed now is more about the rdna3 support. and i just checked that the steam deck is in fact rdna2. for those other valve efforts and contributions

so this forum seems as good as any. since a lot of people here seem to know a fair bit from direct experiences. to give me some better understanding for what is more questionable to look out for. and what should be well supported

the current things i am interested in:

kde plasma, and wayland
    gamescope compositor in kde
    proton and wine, mesa, vulkan (of course). so all of the gaming stuff
    multi monitor - with mixed refresh rates and resolutions, and during gaming
    fullscren mode - because that may disable other monitors in that mode, and delays app switching (so i prefer to run a game in windowed mode, but perhaps not a good idea?)
    linux native compute, ai workloads, and native productivity apps that use gpu compute
    3d cad programes via wine / proton
    3440x1440p @ 120hz
    err... how well specific games works i suppose (under wine/proton/dxvk/vulcan, for example battlefield. but also other games)
    which sets of amd driver pkgs to install on ubuntu
    other useful utilities or fan control, or overclocking tools for linux etc.
    i suppose decode/ encode support, accelleration, obs
    and the ability to accellerate or improve vm guest graphics
    if buying another 2nd 5700xt for vm passthu actually makes any sort of sense
    any other things i have not considered, or overlooked. but are worth mentioning

so i dont expect people to know about all those things. just those are my own specifics that i am personally interested in. if anybody can give just general commentary about the rdna1 / 5700xt experiences on modern linux. then i would just be very grateful.
    Last edited by dreamcat4; 24 April 2023, 08:48 AM.
Working...
X