Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RADV Working Toward D3D12 FL 12.2 Support With VKD3D-Proton

Phoronix: RADV Working Toward D3D12 FL 12.2 Support With VKD3D-Proton

The Mesa Radeon Vulkan driver "RADV" is seeing work towards being able to support Direct3D 12 Feature Level 12.2 with VKD3D-Proton to further enhance the Steam Play gaming experience on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What's the purpose of this over using DXVK?

Comment

DXVK only supports DirectX 9 - 11, VKD3D is for DirectX 12. And in my experience with Anno 1800, VKD3D is much faster.

Comment

And here we are with intel arc, where even D3D12 FL 12.0 is not fully supported.
        Last edited by RejectModernity; 27 February 2023, 12:23 PM.

Comment

I will say, other then the shaders getting cached pretty much every time I run a game (unless its back to back same game) the steam proton experience has been awesome! Every once in a while the game will start with stuttering but simply reloading it starts it up as sooth as windows. Pretty much only play Satisfactory on proton but its been an awesome experience, even at 4k!

Comment

I wonder if there are any preformance/feature comparisons between vkd3d and vkd3d-proton. it's been a long time but last I checked vkd3d had worked with a decent number of non game applications that didn't work on vkd3d-proton, but there were some non game applications that worked better on vkd3d-proton too

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
              I wonder if there are any preformance/feature comparisons between vkd3d and vkd3d-proton. it's been a long time but last I checked vkd3d had worked with a decent number of non game applications that didn't work on vkd3d-proton, but there were some non game applications that worked better on vkd3d-proton too
              Which non-game d3d12 applications? I'm not really aware of any. In general vkd3d is years behind vkd3d-proton when it comes to running d3d12 games. Most notably, vkd3d has currently zero support for shader model 6 DXIL shaders, which means most somewhat recent games have no chance to run at all. It also has zero support for ray tracing and is missing a bunch of other mandatory features for feature level 12_0, like tiled resources.

Comment

How does that patch for Vega work? I thought Vega/RDNA1 lacked support for mesh shaders which is required to meet DirectX12 ultimate/12.2 specifications?

Comment

Working...
                X