No announcement yet.

Radeon Software For Linux 22.40 Driver Released With RX 7900 Series Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this the first cards of a new generation that AMD has fully supported on linux at launch? I could be forgetting some, but this feels like an achievement.

As someone who loudly complained about how slow AMD was at supporting RDNA 2 cards, congratulations on getting RDNA 3 out properly.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
      Is this the first cards of a new generation that AMD has fully supported on linux at launch? I could be forgetting some, but this feels like an achievement.

As someone who loudly complained about how slow AMD was at supporting RDNA 2 cards, congratulations on getting RDNA 3 out properly.
      We've had pre-launch upstream support since polaris (polaris, vega, navi1,2,3). It's always a little tricky because kernel schedules are never aligned to product schedules.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

We've had pre-launch upstream support since polaris (polaris, vega, navi1,2,3). It's always a little tricky because kernel schedules are never aligned to product schedules.
        I'm judging on quality, and I for sure don't count navi 2 as well supported at launch given the missing RT capabilities. I seem to remember Navi 1 was iffy too, but maybe I'm mis-remembering that. Vega may have been in good shape at launch, i don't recall exactly when the Mesa GL 4 support got into good shape for it. My brain wants to say there was 1 good launch of it right before rdna 1 came out. I also remember there was one launch around then that went terribly when the cards just didn't work on linux at launch due to firmware issues.
        Last edited by smitty3268; 15 December 2022, 12:02 AM.

Comment

@bridgman: There's reports that the 7900 series cards suffer again from the dreaded reset-bug. Can you confirm?

edit: see https://forum.level1techs.com/t/7900...set-bug/192032

Comment

Working...
          X