Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I really the only person trying to play World of Warcraft using RADV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I really the only person trying to play World of Warcraft using RADV?

So World of Warcraft was running fine for me last week with my Radeon RX6600 and Wine 7.18, courtesy of Fedora 36. And then Fedora updated to Wine 7.19 and suddenly everything hit the fan! I initially thought it was a Mesa bug: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/7618 where RADV was failing to compile a compute shader. But the Mesa developer thought Mesa was choking on buggy SPIR-V generated by Fedora's installation of libvkd3d. He suggested installing proton-vkd3d instead into my Wine prefix, but that just crashed WoW with a NPE.

Isn't anyone else seeing this crash please? i usually find other people hitting these kinds of problems, usually with a solution too. But this time, everything is totally silent! So either this is a trivial problem that no-one has bothered to report, or everyone else is playing WoW with an NVIDIA card!

At the very least, isn't anyone interested in investigating the invalid SPIR-V?

Cheers,
    Chris
    Last edited by chrisr; 08 November 2022, 04:18 PM.

I run WoW with d3d12 and vkd3d-proton (2.7) on a 6900XT with no issues. Mesa 22.3-rc3 and wine 7.20 currently. It also works fine in d3d11 mode with DXVK but seems to perform better with the former. Sorry I can't be any help other than that.

You probably won't have much luck using vanilla vkd3d, it's pretty buggy/incomplete.

Comment

Originally posted by csutcliff View Post
      I run WoW with d3d12 and vkd3d-proton (2.7) on a 6900XT with no issues. Mesa 22.3-rc3 and wine 7.20 currently. It also works fine in d3d11 mode with DXVK but seems to perform better with the former.
      OK, thanks. FWIW, I have managed to work around the issue by setting
      Code:
      SET gxApi "D3D11"

Comment

That makes sense, the vanilla wine DX11 stuff is way more complete than 12 (vkd3d). You'll get better performance either way by using DXVK for DX11 or vkd3d-proton for DX12.

Comment

Originally posted by csutcliff View Post
          That makes sense, the vanilla wine DX11 stuff is way more complete than 12 (vkd3d). You'll get better performance either way by using DXVK for DX11 or vkd3d-proton for DX12.
          Interestingly, Fedora does include DXVK:
          Code:
          wine-dxvk-dxgi-1.10.3-1.fc36.i686
          wine-dxvk-d3d9-1.10.3-1.fc36.i686
          wine-dxvk-1.10.3-1.fc36.i686
          wine-dxvk-dxgi-1.10.3-1.fc36.x86_64
          wine-dxvk-1.10.3-1.fc36.x86_64
          wine-dxvk-d3d9-1.10.3-1.fc36.x86_64
          However, WoW NPE'd when I tried installing vkd3d-proton-2.7 and switching to D3D12.

Comment

Working...
          X