Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Has A Bit More RDNA3 Graphics Driver Code Ready For Linux 5.20

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AMD Has A Bit More RDNA3 Graphics Driver Code Ready For Linux 5.20

    Phoronix: AMD Has A Bit More RDNA3 Graphics Driver Code Ready For Linux 5.20

    While the cutoff of new feature work to queue in DRM-Next for the next kernel cycle usually ends around the "-rc6" time of the current cycle, AMD has submitted a few last minute items for Linux 5.20 ahead of its merge window opening next week...

    https://www.phoronix.com/news/AMDGPU...NA3-Linux-5.20

  • #2
    So now I'm not sure if my next GPU will be AMD or Intel, but I want to swich out of NVIDIA already. I guess it's worth the wait.

    The only things that I wish was better with AMD graphics are video encoding capabilities/screen capture performance and ray tracing performance (in RADV). If Intel will do those better and make the Vulkan performance decent enough (looks likely), it'll be mostly no brainer for me. Interesting times.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by bple2137 View Post
      So now I'm not sure if my next GPU will be AMD or Intel, but I want to swich out of NVIDIA already. I guess it's worth the wait.

      The only things that I wish was better with AMD graphics are video encoding capabilities/screen capture performance and ray tracing performance (in RADV). If Intel will do those better and make the Vulkan performance decent enough (looks likely), it'll be mostly no brainer for me. Interesting times.
      AMD 7xxx will beat Intel Arc by a huge margin on everything except encoding. So it should be a no brainer to pick AMD unless encoding is the most important feature for you.

      Comment


      • #4
        Well it depends on price, if I can get 3080/6800 level of performance for 200$ from Intel while amd is around 500$ is a good deal in my eyes.

        Now if Intel is just 30$ cheaper, rdna3 it is

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by dlq84 View Post

          AMD 7xxx will beat Intel Arc by a huge margin on everything except encoding. So it should be a no brainer to pick AMD unless encoding is the most important feature for you.
          We don't even know what RDNA3's encoding performance will be. So, it's possible that AMD will be on par or better than Intel in this respect.


          Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
          Well it depends on price, if I can get 3080/6800 level of performance for 200$ from Intel while amd is around 500$ is a good deal in my eyes.

          Now if Intel is just 30$ cheaper, rdna3 it is
          Given how big the dies are for Alchemist for the amount of performance they provide, there is no way Intel could charge that little. The high end Alchemist GPU, DG2-512, is 406 mm^2, built on TSMC's N6, and is expecting to compete with the 3070/6700 XT. To put this into perspective, the RX 6700 XT, Navi 22, has an MSRP of $479 and a die area of 335 mm^2 on TSMC's N7. If Intel tried to charge $200, they would be, rightly, accused of dumping and unfair business practices for sell the product for less than it costs to manufacture.

          Comment


          • #6
            I want ROCm to not suck, a lot more supported among consumer GPUs and make Vulkan replace OpenCL. If that happens, I'll be an AMD w...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Vlad42 View Post
              We don't even know what RDNA3's encoding performance will be. So, it's possible that AMD will be on par or better than Intel in this respect.



              Given how big the dies are for Alchemist for the amount of performance they provide, there is no way Intel could charge that little. The high end Alchemist GPU, DG2-512, is 406 mm^2, built on TSMC's N6, and is expecting to compete with the 3070/6700 XT. To put this into perspective, the RX 6700 XT, Navi 22, has an MSRP of $479 and a die area of 335 mm^2 on TSMC's N7. If Intel tried to charge $200, they would be, rightly, accused of dumping and unfair business practices for sell the product for less than it costs to manufacture.
              Intel is immune to dumping, they did it tons of times. Now they are dumping at Chinese market.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Vlad42 View Post
                If Intel tried to charge $200, they would be, rightly, accused of dumping and unfair business practices for sell the product for less than it costs to manufacture.
                What? That would be a reasonable price for a midrange, just because Nvidia and AMD milking the bad supply situation doesn't mean its unfair to charge normal prices.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by bple2137 View Post
                  The only things that I wish was better with AMD graphics are video encoding capabilities/screen capture performance [...]
                  Any particular issues with screen capture performance? Seems to perform great here with GNOME Wayland, e.g. with OBS.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Anux View Post
                    What? That would be a reasonable price for a midrange, just because Nvidia and AMD milking the bad supply situation doesn't mean its unfair to charge normal prices.
                    "market conditions"

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X