Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    Beautiful 4 years of official support
    On the other hand, Intel's compute support still works on Skylake (2015, 7 years of support and still going)
    Actually the oldest supported architecture is Broadwell, so even a generation earlier! So Intel has definitely the best GPU support, but on the other hand, their compute stack was recently broken for a few months with the newest LLVM, and over all it could be better maintained. Also their support for Cycles is mostly on yet unreleased ARC GPUs, not even any of their iGPUs. But Intel is definitely going the right way, I wish AMD can catch up.

Comment

For intel and support for older hardware see this:
      Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
        For anyone unaware, ROCm OpenCL is in default Fedora repos now! No need to add the Copr or deal with a manual install. I imagine it won't have 5.2.1 immediately.
        FYI:

I could patch the stack to allow for Polaris and prior, but the support is a bit limited and you can enable it by doing:
        Code:
        export ROC_ENABLE_PRE_VEGA=true
        (or maybe it's 1 instead of true?)

I don't mind patching it in the Fedora package if there's demand, it's a one line change:

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

FYI:

I could patch the stack to allow for Polaris and prior, but the support is a bit limited and you can enable it by doing:
          Code:
          export ROC_ENABLE_PRE_VEGA=true
          (or maybe it's 1 instead of true?)

I don't mind patching it in the Fedora package if there's demand, it's a one line change:
          https://github.com/ROCm-Developer-To...flags.hpp#L248
          AUR package, Debian and even Solus has been doing it for a while, with no problems so far, so I think it is worth to enable it, it shouldn't affect newer cards anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by JacekJagosz View Post

AUR package, Debian and even Solus has been doing it for a while, with no problems so far, so I think it is worth to enable it, it shouldn't affect newer cards anyways.
            The only issue I'm aware of is that some older HW, such as "Lexa" (RX 540/550/630/640) is really broken. So if you have two openCL implementations, ROCm and non-ROCm (say Mesa's OCL), where non-ROCm works but has a lower openCL capability, the OCL ICD will automatically select ROCm's OpenCL based on the higher capability (I think) and crash. As far as I know, this was the motivation to switching the default to false, but I might be making some incorrect assumptions.

Granted, I guess you could argue that someone can just export ROC_ENABLE_PRE_VEGA to disable this on a case by case basis.

Anyway, I'll follow suit with the rest of the distros on my next update.

Comment

Working...
            X