RADV Vulkan Driver Continues At Full-Speed Preparing For RDNA3/GFX11 GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RADV Vulkan Driver Continues At Full-Speed Preparing For RDNA3/GFX11 GPUs

Phoronix: RADV Vulkan Driver Continues At Full-Speed Preparing For RDNA3/GFX11 GPUs

Last week I wrote about how well known Mesa developer Samuel Pitoiset who is employed by Valve already started working on GFX11 (RDNA3) support for RADV, the open-source Radeon Vulkan driver in Mesa that isn't officially supported by AMD but remains more popular than their own "AMDVLK" driver. More GFX11/RDNA3 preparation work remains ongoing and it's looking like if trends continue this open-source driver could be ready for RDNA3 graphics cards in time for launch...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hoping RDNA3 can compete with RT on the 40 series.
    Would be nice to actually toggle RT in something like CP2077 someday on a AMD card.
    Nvidia works above 60fps with RT and DLSS; depending on settings I guess.

Comment

I'm wondering what stops AMD to contribute to Mesa instead of maintaining their in-house driver.

Comment

Intel manages to have a separate driver for Windows and official anv for Linux. So may be it's time for AMD to start supporting radv. They have a lot more resources today.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
          Intel manages to have a separate driver for Windows and official anv for Linux. So may be it's time for AMD to start supporting radv. They have a lot more resources today.
          One interesting thing to consider is if any of their partners are using AMDVLK. I know Google's Stadia does. So there is an argument for AMD on why they need to keep updating their own solution. But I also wished they just adopted RADV, or at least started directly contributing to it.

Comment

Originally posted by JacekJagosz View Post

One interesting thing to consider is if any of their partners are using AMDVLK. I know Google's Stadia does. So there is an argument for AMD on why they need to keep updating their own solution. But I also wished they just adopted RADV, or at least started directly contributing to it.
            Nothing stops Google from starting to use radv either.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Nothing stops Google from starting to use radv either.
              True, but that is not AMD's decision to make. AMD needs to support AMDVLK for as long as they agreed upon.

Comment

Working...
              X