Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Working On AMD GPU Hotplug Support For Linux Driver

Phoronix: Microsoft Working On AMD GPU Hotplug Support For Linux Driver

Here is a combination not normally expected... Microsoft engineers have submitted patches for review enabling AMD GPU hot-plugging support with the Radeon "AMDGPU" Linux kernel driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Microsoft is 5 days too late!

Comment

In before the Embrace, Extend, Extinguish crowd..................

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
        In before the Embrace, Extend, Extinguish crowd..................
        Paradox..with this comment you made yourself kinda part of it. Can you be faster than yourself. Reminds me of lucky Luke trying to be faster than his shadow. Albeit from the physics point of view he is. Photons creating his shadow and the backscattering of his contours likewise is only possible after his moves....but now we are OT

Just to fulfil your wish.:
        That's only EEE!

Comment

Super cool, this will help with other stuff too; not to mention it's useful for anyone who could want to live provision GPUs to vms.

Comment

Most likely it has something to do with cloud computing. It's a welcome addition, even from Microsoft.

Comment

Yes! Finally!

Hopefully I can use this one day when my graphics card randomly shuts off to plug it back in...

Comment

Originally posted by jojo7887 View Post
                Most likely it has something to do with cloud computing. It's a welcome addition, even from Microsoft.
                What about external GPUs?

Comment

Coincidentally, a few days ago I tried a setup on my desktop system where the OS (openSUSE Tumbleweed) would normally operate on the iGPU (Intel UHD Graphics 770) while 3D applications or games would be offloaded on the dGPU (Radeon RX480) by starting native applications with DRI_PRIME=1 flag, or automatically with Steam/Proton games. However, it was also possible to use dGPU for PCIe passthrough in virtual machines (by virtually "unplugging" it from the host). When the VM is done with the dGPU and the host regains control of it, that would be where GPU hotplugging comes into play.

Unfortunately this is an area where the AMDGPU driver is still lacking and segmentation faults are likely to occur, which is what I was observing and prevented to properly use the dGPU for both 3D offloading and GPU passthrough (not at the same time of course). If this patch solves the problems I was having, that would be great!
                  Last edited by Solid State Brain; 06 April 2022, 04:01 PM.

Comment

This will likely to be useful for dynamic provisioning in a detacenter environment, with racks equipped with a PCIe switch.
                    Something like Dell Liqid: https://www.liqid.com/dell .

Comment

Working...
                    X