No announcement yet.

New to the open source drivers - please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, I went to make a video of my problem to help... however when I used xvidcap (capture programme) and then enabled desktop effects xvidcap crashed, with this error:

xtoffmpeg.c guess_input_pix_fmt(): image depth 32 not supported ... aborting
    xvidcap: Fatal IO error 9 (Bad file descriptor) on X server @7�.
    james@james-desktop:~$

Does this help?

Comment

Just set to 'None' your Visual Effects and don't touch it afterwards. Instead of that install and use 'ccsm' (compizconfig-settings-manager) to enable/disable some problematic plugins, for example turn off 'mblur' plugin which is known reason of Compiz "slowness" on Mesa/DRI drivers, etc.).

And yes, for turn on/off compiz, metacity/emerald, etc. you can try 'fusion-icon'.

Comment

Disabled practically every plugin, even basic movement of windows is horribly slow.

Comment

Originally posted by gloscherrybomb View Post
          OK, I went to make a video of my problem to help... however when I used xvidcap (capture programme) and then enabled desktop effects xvidcap crashed, with this error:

xtoffmpeg.c guess_input_pix_fmt(): image depth 32 not supported ... aborting
          xvidcap: Fatal IO error 9 (Bad file descriptor) on X server @7�.
          james@james-desktop:~$

Does this help?
          seems a lot like it might some old config files from your old system. Did you try to create a new user with clean home directory?

system->administration->users and groups; crete new user and check that User privileges for video/3D acceleration is enabled.
          Log out from your old user acount and log in again with new user.
          If compiz is slow now too then problem is probbly compiz/driver bug.
          If not then problem is hidden in your home directory. Then probably easiest way is to just move all data files to new home directory and do the configuration from clean start.

Comment

Suokko, thanks for your suggestion.

Tried a new user and..... IT WORKED!

Thanks for your help guys, seem I have a hidden configuration file somewhere that is being a nuisance.

Comment

Originally posted by suokko View Post
              xmoto, neverball, neverputt etc are small download size but are using some 3D features so that software rendering runs around 1fps.
              eduke32 is also good for testing because in the options->video setup, you can choose (8 bit classic) or (32 bit...). If 3D is not accelerated 32 bit will be very slow. Other good games but not quite as small is sdlquake2 and return to castle wolfenstein. You probably need the original disk for the maps.

Comment

Working...
              X