Radeon KMS, New TTM Code Works But Needs Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by glisse View Post
    Either wrong libdrm, or wrong ddx, you need to install libdrm before configuring the ddx (also check that you are on the right branch) i guess we should do some kind of verbose configure script to actually explicitly state if KMS support is enabled or not.
    I verified branch of libdrm & ddx, rebuild libdrm, mesa, xorg-server and xf86-video-ati after rebooted on radeon-drm-next...

and same error

* DRI1 OK if radeon loaded without modeset=1 but no DRI2

xorg log message:

RADEON(0) : [dri] found dri library version 1.3.0 and kernel moduleversion 1.29.0
    AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI2 capable

Can I enable DRI2 without KMS or the problem is out there ?

* KMS OK if radeon loaded with modeset=1, but no DRI with same erreor as above...

is there a way to find faulty element ?
    do I need rebuild some other X.org element ?

Comment

Originally posted by rem5 View Post
      I verified branch of libdrm & ddx, rebuild libdrm, mesa, xorg-server and xf86-video-ati after rebooted on radeon-drm-next...

and same error

* DRI1 OK if radeon loaded without modeset=1 but no DRI2

xorg log message:

RADEON(0) : [dri] found dri library version 1.3.0 and kernel moduleversion 1.29.0
      AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI2 capable

Can I enable DRI2 without KMS or the problem is out there ?

* KMS OK if radeon loaded with modeset=1, but no DRI with same erreor as above...

is there a way to find faulty element ?
      do I need rebuild some other X.org element ?
      One things i didn't think of what is your distribution ? It might miss the dri2 bits, you need at least xserver 1.6 and dri2 protocol bits looks through your distrib package if any got dri2 in its name. I personnaly use fedora, often the lastest rawhide stuff of fedora. I will do some configure change so ddx explicitly advertise if it's built with dri2 support enabled.

Comment

I use a gentoo (arch amd64)

the only "package" with DRI2 in his name is : dri2proto-1.99.3

Xorg-server is in version 1.6.1

what I use in my ebuild for :

-xf86-video-ati :

EGIT_BRANCH="radeon-gem-cs3"
        EGIT_REPO_URI="git://people.freedesktop.org/~glisse/xf86-video-ati"

- libdrm :
        EGIT_BRANCH="modesetting-gem"
        EGIT_REPO_URI="git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/mesa/drm"

- mesa :
        GIT_REPO_URI="git://anongit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa"
        EGIT_BRANCH="radeon-rewrite"

To make short this is nearly what I have (but too gentoo specific...)

Some days ago I tried DRI2/KMS airlied bits with same results..

one thing but I don't think it has to do with that, my opengl renderer string lack some ifo it use to have like : MMX/SSE2/...

OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R300 20090101 TCL

I use this distrib on another laptop with KMS/DRI2 on intel hardware without problem (a kms problem but not linked...must make a bug report on that...)

Comment

Yeah, got it to work
          KMS and DRI2 are working fine when using compiz. When using KWin with it's effects, windows are not drawn correctly (screenie... though usualy even (much) less of the windows is drawn). These seems to be a problem with KWin and xdamage... but I guess they wont accept a bug report on this yet as it's working fine with dri1 and dri2 is still in development.
          Edit: forgot to mention: glxgears is down from ~4500 (with x1900xt) to ~1300-2000 FPS.

Some tips for Gentoo Users who are trying to get this to work as well:
          -You'll need >=xorg-server-1.6, which is in the x11-overlay but currently masked because it's soon to be moved into the portage-tree.
          -Instead of building mesa yourself as described in jglisse's blog post you can just add MESA_LIVE_BRANCH="radeon-rewrite" to your /etc/make.conf and use the mesa-9999 ebuild from the x11-overlay.
          You'll still have to built libdrm, xf86-video-ati and the kernel as described in the blog-post. When you do so, you should add x11-libs/libdrm-9999
          x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati-9999
          to your /etc/make.profile/package.provided so emerge doesn't try to install the portage versions again.
          Last edited by Zhick; 01 May 2009, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhick View Post
            Some tips for Gentoo Users who are trying to get this to work as well:
            -You'll need >=xorg-server-1.6, which is in the x11-overlay but currently masked because it's soon to be moved into the portage-tree.
            -Instead of building mesa yourself as described in jglisse's blog post you can just add MESA_LIVE_BRANCH="radeon-rewrite" to your /etc/make.conf and use the mesa-9999 ebuild from the x11-overlay.
            You'll still have to built libdrm, xf86-video-ati and the kernel as described in the blog-post. When you do so, you should add x11-libs/libdrm-9999
            x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati-9999
            to your /etc/make.profile/package.provided so emerge doesn't try to install the portage versions again.
            The better way to do this is to add EGIT_BRANCH="<branch-name>" to the 9999 ebuilds. Add this *before* the inherit line or it will not work.

Comment

Originally posted by fat_chris View Post
              The better way to do this is to add EGIT_BRANCH="<branch-name>" to the 9999 ebuilds. Add this *before* the inherit line or it will not work.
              THANK YOU !! I just didn't know for the : *before*

So as you said glisse it was a branch problem...

Now it works :

drm : from yesterday
              libdrm/ddx : git

KDE-3.5.9 with composite ON (translucency/shadows)

KMS : all OK
              2D : corruption of font and diagonal in windows
              3D : some problem with texture

a little sreenshot :

2D+3D

suspend/resume : When I suspended to ram, computer never stop...
              Last edited by rem5; 01 May 2009, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by glisse View Post
                Either wrong libdrm, or wrong ddx, you need to install libdrm before configuring the ddx (also check that you are on the right branch) i guess we should do some kind of verbose configure script to actually explicitly state if KMS support is enabled or not.
                For me code looks somehow wierd because it seems like KMS kernel module advertises version 2.0.0 but your code in ddx driver is testing for version (X==1, Y>17, Z>0)

(and yes it saied modesetting enabled when I configured it)

Comment

Originally posted by suokko View Post
                  For me code looks somehow wierd because it seems like KMS kernel module advertises version 2.0.0 but your code in ddx driver is testing for version (X==1, Y>17, Z>0)

(and yes it saied modesetting enabled when I configured it)
                  I just find the problem like said just above... I'm no good at writing ebuild (and here juste a one line...too bad) that was just that...

Comment

Hi,

It doesn't work for me. When loading the radeon module with the parameter modeset=1, the screen gets corrupted and the kernel freezes.

I'm running Arch Linux and my graphic card is the XPress 200M.
                    I tried KMS a few months back with a zen kernel, it worked. So, I don't know why it actually doesn't now.
                    Moreover, DRI2 is still missing according to my Xorg log.

If I can help in any way, just tell me how to do so. Also, as this card seems not to be well supported (the Xorg logs says DRI is still experimental with this card) I can run any test you'd like me to.

Thanks a lot for all this work, it is highly interesting.

Edit : I also get a problem when activating compiz. Windows are not re-drawn when moved or when its content changed :s
                    Last edited by MuPuF; 02 May 2009, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by M?P?F View Post
                      Hi,

It doesn't work for me. When loading the radeon module with the parameter modeset=1, the screen gets corrupted and the kernel freezes.

I'm running Arch Linux and my graphic card is the XPress 200M.
                      I tried KMS a few months back with a zen kernel, it worked. So, I don't know why it actually doesn't now.
                      Moreover, DRI2 is still missing according to my Xorg log.

If I can help in any way, just tell me how to do so. Also, as this card seems not to be well supported (the Xorg logs says DRI is still experimental with this card) I can run any test you'd like me to.

Thanks a lot for all this work, it is highly interesting.

Edit : I also get a problem when activating compiz. Windows are not re-drawn when moved or when its content changed :s
                      Your dmesg when loading radeon module with modeset=1 would be usefull to know what's going wrong. Can't guess otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                      X