AMD Quietly Working On New Linux GPU Driver Support Block By Block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post

Technically no but realistically it doesn't go down too well. Older pre-GCN GPU's never got AMDGPU, let alone RadeonSI. R600 isn't capable of Vulkan but somehow Raspberry Pi's are. I see this as AMD divorcing away from GCN support.
    There's a point I forgot to make. nVidia has much longer support windows for their binary drivers than AMD seems to de facto have for their open-source ones.

Aside from now, where the chip shortage and "I was intentionally sitting on the last card without signed firmware" combined to put me at risk of having to dig out a card which will never get GBM if my current one dies, I've never had nVidia's non-legacy support window end before I upgraded, and there's still the legacy support window.

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post

Luckily official support and things that work are 2 pairs of shoes. 5.0 is the first release where my 3500 APU, my Ryzen 4700 APU as well as my 5600 and my Radeon 5500 GPU working with OpenCL (and HIP for no reason, because there arent any apps). For the 4xxx series APU I however need https://github.com/RadeonOpenCompute...ent-1042464940 to make it work, but after this it works so well that content creation is now finally a thing on Linux desktops. Without any form of GPU reset, application crash and everything I suffered since 2015, when AMDGPU replaced FGLRX came up.
      Hi lumks,

So, HIP works on your APUs and Radeon 5500? Sorry, it's not clear what you refer to when you mention HIP.

I actually have an application with a HIP port that I'd like to use on a 16GB Radeon gaming card.

Thanks!
      Last edited by hoohoo; 20 February 2022, 01:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

There's a point I forgot to make. nVidia has much longer support windows for their binary drivers than AMD seems to de facto have for their open-source ones.

Aside from now, where the chip shortage and "I was intentionally sitting on the last card without signed firmware" combined to put me at risk of having to dig out a card which will never get GBM if my current one dies, I've never had nVidia's non-legacy support window end before I upgraded, and there's still the legacy support window.
        This is true as the GPU would have to be very old to not get legacy support. As of writing this the GTX 1060 is still the most popular GPU on Steam. A 6 year old GPU is still #1. I don't know how much longer Nvidia is going to support it but I don't see this ending anytime soon. Both AMD and Nvidia have yet to produce GPU's that people can afford to replace their aging RX 480's and GTX 1060's. They can't seem to produce a product that is actually considered an upgrade for these users.

I'm a big AMD users because I love their open source drivers but I've been burned with my older GPU's waiting for soft fp64 support. My Radeon HD 7850 and other similar generation GPU's I own are losing their Vulkan support because updated kernels broke it. Even though Vulkan is supported on Windows, it was never officially supported on Linux. You have to do some trickery by switching to AMDGPU and putting some stuff in GRUB to get it working. It is a GCN card but one that was never officially added to AMDGPU.

I hope the community makes sure that GCN cards will continue to get included with these new drivers because I can't afford to buy RDNA cards.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

AFAIK we never gave each IP block its own PCI ID. ... there was only one PCI ID per chip.
          Yeah, thats how I understood it. Maybe my wording wasn't that good.

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post

Maybe search left and right next time
            Dell and MSI also have something, and you can even settle for second hand ones eventually
            Yeah, finding the models for them is easy... finding them in stock anywhere... not so much.

Comment

Working...
            X