AMD Radeon Open-Source Linux GPU Driver Performance: 2020 vs. 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon Open-Source Linux GPU Driver Performance: 2020 vs. 2021

Phoronix: AMD Radeon Open-Source Linux GPU Driver Performance: 2020 vs. 2021

Across dozens of articles over the past year I have covered a variety of different open-source AMD Radeon Linux graphics driver optimizations from their kernel driver through their Mesa RadeonSI Gallium3D driver and the popular RADV Vulkan driver, among other interesting open-source AMD contributions. For those wondering what the cumulative gain was for 2021 from all these AMD graphics driver changes, here are some end-of-year 2020 vs. 2021 benchmarks across a number of different Linux games while testing on Vega, Navi, and Navi 2 graphics cards.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

From what I recall, the 6000 series was already in pretty good shape at launch, so to see so much additional performance is nice.

Comment

Typo ? Left 4 Dead summery.

regression > regress

Comment

Michael Any idea how to contact Luc Verhaegen? He was working on flashing AMD GPUs with open source firmware a while back, but no updates since... Would be great to get a list of blockers from him to help others dig into such a complicated effort.

Comment

If you could also add a "in the real world" category/section where you take 1 amd card that doesn't require a body organ or nuclear reactor or power connector and see what peasants will see in the driver changes?

I think it would be more interesting data in addition to the great data already in the article
          if you plot the cheapo card data with the supercars then we could see what giving up an organ will get me in more fps

i also hope you could add a laptop with amd graphics even though at this time in the market it was hard to get a laptop with amd graphics ( supposed to be getting more amd graphics laptops later with the new amd apu )
          Last edited by onlyLinuxLuvUBack; 07 January 2022, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by make_adobe_on_Linux! View Post
            Michael Any idea how to contact Luc Verhaegen? He was working on flashing AMD GPUs with open source firmware a while back, but no updates since... Would be great to get a list of blockers from him to help others dig into such a complicated effort.
            I don't think libv has been working on AMD GPU firmware in some years, but will ask him in case something changed.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post
              If you could also add a "in the real world" category/section where you take 1 amd card that doesn't require a body organ or nuclear reactor or power connector and see what peasants will see in the driver changes?

I think it would be more interesting data in addition to the great data already in the article
              if you plot the cheapo card data with the supercars then we could see what giving up an organ will get me in more fps

i also hope you could add a laptop with amd graphics even though at this time in the market it was hard to get a laptop with amd graphics ( supposed to be getting more amd graphics laptops later with the new amd apu )
              Scotty: I'm giving you all she's got, Captain.
              Kirk: *runs htop* Goddammit, Scotty, disable ray tracing in the holodecks and quit mining LobeCoin.
              Scotty: I have 98% more power to give you, Captain.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I don't think libv has been working on AMD GPU firmware in some years, but will ask him in case something changed.
                Thank you Michael!

Comment

Originally posted by make_adobe_on_Linux! View Post
                  First off, no-one seems to care. Secondly, ENOHW as anything newer than polaris is still prohibitively expensive. Add those two together, and that's why this has not progressed.

And I can be found quite easily, my email nor my nick has changed since like 2004, so a quick google would've told you how to reach me

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    From what I recall, the 6000 series was already in pretty good shape at launch, so to see so much additional performance is nice.
                    yeah i got my 6900xt in feb 2021, and its been nothing but rock solid. rdna 2 release on linux and windows was really good. much better than previous amd releases and i hope this becomes* the norm for now on.

my only gripe was video decoding but newer mesa has fixed those issues for me. i can now do 4k 60fps just fine with mpv.
                    Last edited by middy; 08 January 2022, 04:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X