No announcement yet.

Compiz on latest dri, mesa, rdr and ati driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably the best thing to do to monitor progress is to monitor the changelogs and the code of the various bits of code you are pulling in.

I'm sure you understand that in a development release, most of the work goes into the actual development. If there is a fair amount of work to do, it's unlikely that the devs will have the time to offer granular updates on blogs or on bug reports. It's also likely that they will disable certain segments to focus on others. Certain fragments will change unexpectedly and things might appear to get worse before appearing to get better. Don't expect your view of "progress" to actually match up with the development view.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      I believe the intention is to ship with all the new code. Without all the new bits, you don't get Redirected Direct Rendering (flicker-free OpenGL on a composited desktop) and without that it's not practical to enable the compositor by default.

The current code supports up to 5xx, but we have shifted direction a bit on our 6xx/7xx 3d work to line up immediately with radeon-rewrite rather than finishing the 3d driver based on old code then porting to radeon-rewrite and the new APIs later. I haven't looked at 3d progress vs F11 schedule so not sure what the chances are of getting 6xx/7xx support into F11. For now I would assume it won't happen. Worst case though is that 6xx/7xx would boot up with KMS disabled and run with the user modeset / non-mm code paths, as it probably does today.

Got it. I think what's happening here is that most of the bug reports map onto a small number of non-trivial problems further down the stack, and that's where the work is being done. Once that work is finished, I imagine all the bug reports will get revisited at more or less the same time, so progress will probably come in a big lump rather than progressively.

Put differently, the reported problems aren't the kind of independent ones you can "work through one at a time".
      According to the final freeze policy: "As of the final freeze for a release, no new builds are allowed for packages already in the Fedora collection (new packages can still be reviewed, added in CVS and built as potential updates). The purpose of the final freeze is to prevent changes while the release is prepared. Release blocking bugs can still be fixed following the policy below."

To bad none of the current issues have been solved.

I wonder what will happen on the official release of fedora 11?

Comment

Working...
      X