No announcement yet.

Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise 21.Q3 Released For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can not use ProRenderer without openCL (2.0+), i.e. without Pro driver. I was thinking to actually move to SLED, but openSUSE is just better and it would be PITA for all the other things

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

Hmm, out of all kernels, 5.8? Damn. I don't need it, but it's a shame because it's a totally out-of-date end-of-life kernel.

Ubuntu 20.04 really needs to move away from that kernel.

Here are some options for them:
      mainline: 5.15-rc1 2021-09-12 [tarball] [patch] [view diff] [browse]
      stable: 5.14.4 2021-09-15 [tarball] [pgp] [patch] [inc. patch] [view diff] [browse] [changelog]
      stable: 5.13.17 2021-09-15 [tarball] [pgp] [patch] [inc. patch] [view diff] [browse] [changelog]
      longterm: 5.10.65 2021-09-15 [tarball] [pgp] [patch] [inc. patch] [view diff] [browse] [changelog]
      longterm: 5.4.146 2021-09-15 [tarball] [pgp] [patch] [inc. patch] [view diff] [browse] [changelog]
      Yeah, no shit, 5.8. No Rocm support for any GDDR6 based GPU. GDDR5 and "non-repairable" HBM based AMD GPUs are already f*cked by mining for nearly 4 years. The entire lineup is dead for compute users. I am running 5.13 on Nvidia already. Kernel support alone makes AMD a joke. I suggest you only run "firefox" on a $10 single slot low profile AMD gpus to offload VRAM from Nvidia GPUs which should be 100% dedicated to Tensorflow.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Intel Xe is on the way, its going to be everything from laptops, gaming, workstation to supercomputing. All open source. Raytracing too. oneAPI too.
        Is it all going to be open source? Becuase my understanding is that you are going to have to get the drivers from Intel if you want every thing to work. If they were fully opensource I would expect the distros to package them. There is also the question of whether their GPUs will only work if you have an Intel CPU.

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

Yeah, thats right, except for the fact that the AMD OSS driver has a big featureset, bigger than the closed source drivers. Except for OpenCL, but OpenCL is still kinda niche and as far as I can see... dying.

Yeah, thats right, except for the fact that newer intel gpus also require closed source firmware ( see huc/guc...) to fully function. And intel not having any competitive workstation or beefy consumer GPU. And the drivers for older gpus also not being very well in shape.

Adding to that:
        I'm also skeptical if the discrete intel gpus will be worthwhile. Intel never got that right in past projects. Now they're delaying their new products to 2022. It also seems they will compete with Geforce 3070 GPUs at best and we might see AMD RDNA3 and Geforce 4000 that very same year...
        OpenCL is niche on Linux because it really doesn't exist. If every desktop and laptop that could run openCL had a working stack from install a lot more applications would start to implement it. Intel implementing it will give it a big push. Vulkan compute will likely be the future but those who have already built their applications around openCL are going to take a long time to re-implement their code.

I agree that Intel won't be playing in the top tier this time around but if they had some thing that ran on Fedora that could compete with a 6070, had openCL but it's drivers only worked at 50% of the performance, it would be infinetly better than a water cooled AMD 6090 with 32G of RAM that doesn't offer openCL to me at all. I could at least view my BRAW files with out rebooting into another OS.

Both Intel and NVidia have realized that the future is a combination of GPU and CPU and you won't be competitive with out both. Because of that I expect Intel to stick with it and keep throwing money at it. With their new fabs coming on line and their move to TSMC I expect them to up their game considerably over the next few years.

Comment

I wonder if Blender Cycles OCL runs without issues on the Linux NEO driver. It should be, as it's allegedly the same as the Windows one, and the Windows one did run Cycles OCL without issues on my crappy Gen 9.5 Gemini Lake GPU after disabling Blender's blacklist via env variable. Anything can happen, but based on this I expect Intel Arc dGPUs to obliterate RDNA2 in this use case.

You can also unlock OCL for Nvidia in Blender, and Ampere still totally kills RDNA2 here without using RT cores. It's a sick joke, AMD totally killed OCL...

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post

Is it all going to be open source? Becuase my understanding is that you are going to have to get the drivers from Intel if you want every thing to work. If they were fully opensource I would expect the distros to package them. There is also the question of whether their GPUs will only work if you have an Intel CPU.
            My Intel 4770K "Haswell" works with the drivers in the Linux kernel and Mesa, so I thought the 12-th generation Intel CPU with integrated Intel Xe graphics would work the same, and thought that the dedicated Intel Xe graphics card would also work that way.

Comment

My Intel 4770K "Haswell" works with the drivers in the Linux kernel and Mesa, so I thought the 12-th generation Intel CPU with integrated Intel Xe graphics would work the same, and thought that the dedicated Intel Xe graphics card would also work that way.
              My guess is it will be like NVidia and Nouveau or AMD with AMDGPU. They both do most of what your average consumer needs. But if you want to do work you need the proprietary drivers. The upside is you ill probably be able to get drivers that work with modern distros via a repo at Intel like they do with their h.264 driver. Don't take this a gold it is just what I have been hearing. We will know for sure when they release.

Comment

With AMD you get open source drivers for the basics, but for things beyond that you have to resort to closed source, proprietary "enterprise" / "PRO" drivers. 👎

With Intel you get open source everything, all the way, the full stack! There is no closed source, proprietary "enterprise" or "pro" version, it's all open source! 👍
                Actually, there is a closed stack, it's just that the Linux closed source stack is only available to OEMs, and as such would only be found on some Android devices or embedded devices.

I have 2 such Android tablets with the closed source stack in my room, waiting for repairs (my fault for bricking one and losing a soldered speaker that got ripped off the other one at one point).
                Last edited by moriel5; 17 September 2021, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post

OpenCL is niche on Linux because it really doesn't exist. If every desktop and laptop that could run openCL had a working stack from install a lot more applications would start to implement it. Intel implementing it will give it a big push. Vulkan compute will likely be the future but those who have already built their applications around openCL are going to take a long time to re-implement their code.

I agree that Intel won't be playing in the top tier this time around but if they had some thing that ran on Fedora that could compete with a 6070, had openCL but it's drivers only worked at 50% of the performance, it would be infinetly better than a water cooled AMD 6090 with 32G of RAM that doesn't offer openCL to me at all. I could at least view my BRAW files with out rebooting into another OS.

Both Intel and NVidia have realized that the future is a combination of GPU and CPU and you won't be competitive with out both. Because of that I expect Intel to stick with it and keep throwing money at it. With their new fabs coming on line and their move to TSMC I expect them to up their game considerably over the next few years.
                  The first time OpenCL has properly worked for me (and only on LibreOffice) was with Intel's new compute driver (packaged by the distro I use, Solus), with the integrated HD 520 I have.

So yeah, this is the hardest truth, but at least it appears that OpenCL might actually be a thing with open source Intel drivers.

Now for SR-IOV, since Intel has disabled GVT-g on 10th+ Gen iGPUs, as well as on Xe.

Comment

Working...
                  X