No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT Linux Gaming Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll stay away from overpriced lower-midrange cards.

Comment

Yeah... I'm not exactly convinced that "pre-scalping" by overpricing it from the start will deter retailers and third party scalpers. RTX 3060s and 3060 TIs are still going at about twice MSRP, i.e more than this, so it's a pretty safe bet these will also get a big bump to their price.

Things are definitely improving in terms of availability, but far slower than I expected when I was able to buy a 3090 FE at "just" €300 above MSRP with a little haggling just over a month ago. Only change seems to be that it's not just AMD cards that can actually be found on store shelves. Prices are still stupidly high and on scalped 3090 FEs like the one I got also seem to be slightly up compared to when I got it.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        If you need good RTRT performance, AI features (including DLSS) or a decent HW video encoder, maybe you'll need to look elsewhere.
        Except that RTRT is like the failed 3D-TV push from a few years ago... too little value for too much hassle and expense. You need a Mr. Fusion reactor to get decent RTRT performance, and the actual visual improvement is minimal. Consumers aren't interested. I suspect we'll see the paltry selection of games that support RTRT get even shorter in the next few years.

Comment

If you need good RTRT performance, AI features (including DLSS) or a decent HW video encoder, maybe you'll need to look elsewhere.
          Yup, if you need some gimmicks you know were to look at, but if you need an open source linux driver and proper wayland support we also know where to not look at.

Comment

Oh, BTW, the divine AMD has somewhat cheated with the card which works only in PCI-E x8 mode but I'm sure AMD fans will find a justification for that:

Comment

Oh, BTW, the divine AMD has somewhat cheated with the card which works only in PCI-E x8 mode but I'm sure AMD fans will find a justification for that:
              Yup. The justification is that it doesn't matter. All the usual review sites, Anandtech, Gamersnexus, Tom's, etc. have all benchmarked this a number of times. There is no perceptible difference in frame rates in any games for x8 vs. x16, even on top-end flagship GPU's, it was measured at well under 1%, within the margin of error. And that's on PCIe 3.0. With PCIe 4.0 we have twice the bandwidth, so it matters even less now.

Your chart confirms this, as the AMD cards at x8 are competing just fine with Nvda at x16.

Keep trying...
              Last edited by torsionbar28; 10 August 2021, 02:00 PM.

Comment

A nice card for raster only games albeit with a quite unreasonable price tag.

[Some arbitrary benchmark graphics showing the mind-blowing superiority of NVidia's offerings]
                You just never disappoint...

Comment

Originally posted by Tuxee View Post

You just never disappoint...
                  Just like RX 6600 RT reviewers: "Raytracing performance is challenging, though. While the card has hardware-acceleration for raytracing, the performance hit is just too big to make this a viable card for 1080p raytracing, as you'll drop well below 60 FPS in most titles. Here, NVIDIA definitely has the upper hand. The RTX 3060 and 3060 Ti are roughly twice as fast in raytracing due to additional hardware units. Even last generation's Turing RTX 2080, which offers similar non-RT FPS, runs faster with raytracing".
                  • DLSS is recognized to be leaps and bounds better than FSR (FSR works OKish only for a 1440p to 4K conversion at the highest quality preset).
                  • NVENC is recognized (AMD's own reddit) to be substantially better than AMD's video encoder.
                  • NVIDIA AI features are missing in AMD products altogether.
                  Yeah, I never disappoint with facts.

AMD has open source drivers though (sans proper OpenCL/RT support). You must be happy!
                  Last edited by birdie; 10 August 2021, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Oh, BTW, the divine AMD has somewhat cheated with the card which works only in PCI-E x8 mode but I'm sure AMD fans will find a justification for that
                    First I did not understand what you mean by "cheating" but I suppose you're going at the x8 instead of the more typical x16 bus width.

Why would this be bad? Using x8 has a very neglectible impact and frees 8 lanes to be used by other cards. Why reserve and block lanes without purpose?

Comment

Originally posted by reba View Post

First I did not understand what you mean by "cheating" but I suppose you're going at the x8 instead of the more typical x16 bus width.

Why would this be bad? Using x8 has a very neglectible impact and frees 8 lanes to be used by other cards. Why reserve and block lanes without purpose?
                      I don't know what to say. I've posted a picture of Doom where it loses over 25% of performance due to the narrow PCI-E bus but I guess that's OK with you. I'm speechless really. I mean AMD fans are so strong in their loyalty they deny what they see.

Comment

Working...
                      X