No announcement yet.

AMDVLK 2021.Q2.3 Released With CPU Optimization, Faster Shader Compile Times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDVLK 2021.Q2.3 Released With CPU Optimization, Faster Shader Compile Times

Phoronix: AMDVLK 2021.Q2.3 Released With CPU Optimization, Faster Shader Compile Times

AMD has issued its newest AMDVLK open-source Vulkan driver code drop today and with this update comes some new optimizations and improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hello Michael,

Can you also compare it with the previous version so that is more obvious what are the improvements ?

Comment

Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post
      Hello Michael,

Can you also compare it with the previous version so that is more obvious what are the improvements ?
      Agree. It would be a great combination.

Comment

Uh, faster shader compile time. This will be interesting, hopefully it's by a substantial margin.

Comment

Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post
          Hello Michael,
          Michael only deliver news in this case, you always get to the source to see the real value of the news.

Comment

After trying many times both amdvlk-open and amdvlk-pro on my RX 580, I have the impression that amdvlk is just better optimized for more modern cards (rdna 1 ,2 etc). Last time when I tried them, I had abysmal performace in pretty much all DXVK games. Like 25-30% slower than radv. One DX9 game ran even slower than Wined3d. Probably the only game which ran fine to me was Doom 2016. I have this impression because from benchmarks comparing radv and amdvlk, it seems amdvlk performance is for the most part comparable to radv on modern cards, sometimes even faster. Including DXVK games. On polaris on the other hand, radv simply obliterates amdvlk in every game, even in Doom 2016 which used to be consistently faster on amdvlk.
            Now, since the addition of the switchable graphics layer, I can't even run amdvlk drivers (games just crash at startup) probably because I run the driver from my home directory. This is the most pointless addition in AMDVLK that no one asked for. There was nothing wrong with just setting VK_ICD_FILENAMES.
            Last edited by user1; 18 May 2021, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Heroes of the Storm crashes for me too, despite of having the implicit layer deleted and specifying driver via VK_ICD_FILENAMES (some other apps work). Seems amdvlk-open releases are basically untested. I want RADV on Windows, Mesa project seems to have better testing for popular API drivers than billion dollar companies...

Comment

Yeah, and if you've seen the latest videos from Bero Tech, AMD's latest 6700 xt is already showing some really impressive performance with radv. I mean usually, radv's main issue was that its performance was a bit subpar on newly released hardware because its development is not supported by AMD. Seems the driver has matured to the point that it's not an issue anymore.

Comment

Still no Ray-tracing ?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                    Still no Ray-tracing ?
                    They don't have enough money to do that.

But they did find $4,000,000,000 lying around they're going to spend to boost the stock price.

Comment

Working...
                    X