Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD "Green Sardine" Firmware Published For Linux Users

Phoronix: AMD "Green Sardine" Firmware Published For Linux Users

The open-source Linux graphics driver support for the Ryzen 5000 series mobile hardware has been developed under the "Green Sardine" codename. With the soon-to-be-stable Linux 5.11 kernel offering the initial enablement for the new hardware and Ryzen 5000 series laptops expected this quarter, the Green Sardine firmware blobs have landed in linux-firmware.git...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"the open-source cod for Green Sardine was published in early October"

I know that AMD uses fish codenames, but I'm pretty sure they're not open sourcing cod at this stage.

Comment

Is this any more open than Intel?
      Or they still have their binary, proprietary AGESA and AMD Platform Security Processor (PSP) ?

Intel seems like a better choice, you get an integrated GPU and high quality open source GPU drivers, and Intel are better at early getting out support before launch day. I think AMD have better performance, but Intel might still be a better choice for consumers on Linux.

AMD needs get serious about being open for real.

Comment

Or they still have their binary, proprietary AGESA and AMD Platform Security Processor (PSP) ?
        Those are mostly equivalent of Intel Management Engine ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Management_Engine )
        So in my opinion this aspect is mostly similar between AMD and Intel.

Comment

Working...
        X