AMD Celebrates Five Years Of GPUOpen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CTown View Post

Or is VRAM not the main reason why this card is not hitting 60 FPS in this video?

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_ktu7lvr2I
    Did not look at VRAM usage, but i watch 10-20 gig videos semi-often, never notice issues on my 1440p
    Got 100hz screen

Comment

Yet still no HDR support. Not even experimental. Just pure incomplete...

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post

Nvidia actually supports Linux extremely well! Their drivers are second to none on Linux. They are just closed source.... like the AMDPRO drivers...
        On a scale from 0 to 10, Nvidia supports Linux -10. Yes. Negative ten. They simply bring their binary only Windows driver junk and call it a day, instead of providing quality open source, upstream integrated, just working, and community improvable by publishing actual gardware register specifications. If you want binary only blobs simply run Windows but please stop calling Nvidia to support open source at all.

Comment

Originally posted by marios View Post

Lol, I am still waiting for someone to post me some Vulkan benchmarks (on the same hardware with nvidia gpu) that gets on linux at least the same number of FPS as on windows. The ones I have run (basemark on rtx 2070) give craptacular performance on linux (up to 20% slower on vulkan). This is far from "Nvidia actually supports Linux extremely well!".
          Back when Quake 2 RTX was first released, I benchmarked a RTX 2080 and Linux was roughly half fps of Windows 10. IIRC it was Linux 45 fps and WIn10 89 fps. Maybe they've improved the performance since then, but from my personal benchmarks i.e. Wine and some older native games NVidia on Linux is not so great.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

This was not a comparison of APIs (albeit OpenCL and Vulkan are both defined by Khronos), it was a sarcastic reference to their CES presentation. Watch it, maybe you'll get what I meant then (and yes, I was disappointed by all the meaningless content that came up there).

Just watch the CES presentation, it was even more boring than that.

You missed the point I was trying to make and my sarcasm in response to Shmerl's thinking. The point was: Khronos isn't represented very well, and their PR is also lacking behind efforts from Microsoft. As Khronos consists of many member companies, it is understandable that they won't cheer for a particular member in such presentations. That is just a reality of the industry which needs to be factored in and that's why Shmerl's wish is unlikely to be fulfilled in the future.

I also like their open approach, but I also appreciate solutions that just work and if you've experienced the mess in the AMD stack on some products with OpenCL, I cannot be all-positive about AMD either (there was no ROCm-support for RDNA1 for over a year). At least I don't know enough about the technical and political details about DX12/Vulkan and whom to blame for sub-par experiences so far (e.g. the DX12 implementation in Battlefield 1 and 5 is next to unusable on my Vega 56, with large CPU spikes every so often and long loading times, at least it has improved over time) - it could be the API, the drivers or the game developers and their game engine implementations. I doubt you'll hear honest answers from any insiders as they need each other for tomorrow's projects and don't want to anger each other with a blame game.
            Looks like I missunderstood your post. I am sorry.
            I also agree with your explanation.

Comment

Happy birthday GPUOpen. A great addition to the FOSS community

Comment

I'm mainly interested in ReLive VR; it's not open-source, but it'd be nice if it was one day (not sure if there's any plans to do so)
                Contribute to GPUOpen-LibrariesAndSDKs/Radeon-ReLive-VR development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

I'm no data scientist or early adopter so I've been very happy over the past 5 years. Congrads to AMD and the open source team(s)! Hoping the next 5 will be just as pleasant. Less CUDA/HIP and more SYCL okay?

I have encountered serious problems running nouveau like on 4.10 getting cpu-soft-lockup crashing my server while just showing CLI. I wasn't the only one, many people on various forums had to hard reboot their servers due to an idle GPU that locked up the system without any useful error logs. Sad times indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by CTown View Post
                    I cannot wait to see FidelityFX Super Resolution in action.
                    Yes well who knows when that will happen. We haven't even seen a tech demo video about it which means we could be waiting into 2022 for all we know.

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
                    I'm mainly interested in ReLive VR; it's not open-source, but it'd be nice if it was one day (not sure if there's any plans to do so)
                    Its so annoying that Oculus is supported on Android but nothing on Linux, your forced to use Windows for PC-VR when it comes to Oculus despite being android options for it.

Comment

Working...
                    X