No announcement yet.

dri2 and/or kms status?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just tried this again, last time running glxgears locked my machine up, and my clumsy attempts to add the relevant work from the drm-rawhide kernel tree into a 2.6.28 went nowhere (unsurprisingly), but everything (well, almost) is working very well now.

KMS works perfectly, the only hangup is xv video, it's like watching something in stop-motion, and lags the entire desktop, is this a known issue?
    Anyways, -vo gl in mplayer works fine, at least 'till this issue is resolved, and apart from that everything works beautifully, so I'm going to stick with it unless something goes wrong.

I've made a diff of the drm-rawhide kernel branch and the 2.6.29-rc8 kernel, and the resulting patch applies cleanly to 2.6.29.1, anyone interested can get the patch here (the earlier one is the one I'm currently using, the later one includes three commits from the last 24 hours which I haven't booted yet, but it does apply and build just fine).

Thanks to agd5f for pointing me in the right direction, and all the devs involved for the great work.

Comment

What's the situation with the Framebuffer drivers?

I use the VesaFB kernel drivers, but this doesn't work when I compile with KMS, so I get nothing until Xorg starts. I assume this is the whole "if you don't have a kms userspace then everyone you love will suffer a wasting disease" thing, but presumably the kernel FB drivers will require a rewrite to be KMS aware?

Comment

Originally posted by DuSTman View Post
        ...but presumably the kernel FB drivers will require a rewrite to be KMS aware?
        Nope, the kernel can set the console to whatever mode you want using KMS. IOW the console works on top of KMS, making the "old" FB drivers obsolete (at least on HW supported by KMS).

Comment

Originally posted by DuSTman View Post

I use the VesaFB kernel drivers, but this doesn't work when I compile with KMS, so I get nothing until Xorg starts. I assume this is the whole "if you don't have a kms userspace then everyone you love will suffer a wasting disease" thing, but presumably the kernel FB drivers will require a rewrite to be KMS aware?
          The kms drm drivers provide a kernel fb device when they are loaded. You'll need to load fbcon to use it as a console however. They should be considered a replacement for existing kernel fb drivers.

Comment

Working...
          X