Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long does it generally take for a new radeon graphics card to be stable on linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long does it generally take for a new radeon graphics card to be stable on linux?

The Radeon RX 5700 XT was announced on July 7th 2019. It looks like it's stable right around now? So, maybe a year?

A lot of people, not specific to linux, are screaming to not buy a graphics card right now, because AMD is announcing new stuff on October 28th: Radeon RX 6000 series, big navi. And it looks like it might not even cost more, once it becomes available. But... I think I just don't feel like dealing with the fighting to get a card once they're released, then fighting with unstable drivers. It's a new architecture, going from RDNA 1 to RDNA 2. Otherwise I'd be less concerned.

I don't mind building mesa and stuff if I need to. I just don't feel like dealing with crashes.

I don't think it's worth creating a separate thread, so here's my parts list, I'd love suggestions:

Well, it's not a COMPLETELY from-the-ground-up new architecture. We already know that most of the code for the Navi 2x drivers has come directly from the Navi 1x driver code with some minor modifications. That said, it is a newish architecture (I'd call it a half-generation).

Comment

Working...
    X