Ubuntu 20.04 LTS vs. Linux 5.9 + Mesa 20.3-devel Radeon Graphics Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
    I also think something like RX570-580 can be added since many people have them. You can drop Radeon VII instead And maybe drop RX5700 or RX5600 since they look similar. The point is to have different architectures present, to clearly see how driver behaves with Polaris, Vega, and RDNA
    I second that.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Unfortunately too time consuming when no premium users have requested such, etc.

My card is an RX570 4GB. Now post the test with a RX570 4GB.

Comment

Originally posted by valici View Post
        There are some nice gains considenring the low hanging fruits have been picked already.
        Also as important, no regressions.
        Huh? There were some regression for Vega.

Comment

Mesa 20.3 (by way of the oibaf ppa) broke a few programs for me, mainly WINE-Staging and some Proton run games like Doom 2016. Performance seems to be the same overall for my old RX 480 card when reverting to stock Ubuntu Mesa. You do lose ACO, which needs to be enabled manually.
          Last edited by Melcar; 26 August 2020, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Michael normal people, not hard core geeks, do not upgrade to anything with a name of -git or -devel. They do not compile and they don't do console. When you any whoever behind the big distributions understand this then maybe linux will see a bright day on the consumer space.

​​​​​​How about Ubuntu 20.04 LTS vs 18.04 LTS? Or vs Windows and MacOS? That is what normal people use.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Where are you seeing it as text? From the OpenBenchmarking.org export function or where?
              Sorry, that was my mistake. My browser blocked the OpenBenchmarking graphs and I only saw the graph-less conclusions, which was a bit surreal experience. After enabling the graphs the page reads in all its usual excellent benchmarking glory

Thanks for the great work!

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post
                Could you add one more card like rx570 ?
                My thoughts exactly. I'm running a RX580.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
                  Michael normal people, not hard core geeks, do not upgrade to anything with a name of -git or -devel. They do not compile and they don't do console. When you any whoever behind the big distributions understand this then maybe linux will see a bright day on the consumer space.

​​​​​​How about Ubuntu 20.04 LTS vs 18.04 LTS? Or vs Windows and MacOS? That is what normal people use.
                  It's just a look at the upcoming performance. This new in-development code will one day be released as stable, and be the default, out-of-the-box version in newer versions of Linux distros. So it's quite relevant, and exciting to look forward to performance improvements.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

It's just a look at the upcoming performance. This new in-development code will one day be released as stable, and be the default, out-of-the-box version in newer versions of Linux distros. So it's quite relevant, and exciting to look forward to performance improvements.
                    It's also useful when Michael finds out regressions before the code gets out to "normal people".

Comment

I'd also like to see an RX570/580.

Comment

Working...
                      X