Catalyst 9.2 Released, Still Fails To Deliver XvBA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for testing!

Ati officially introduced GL3 support with catalyst 9.1. There was a chance it would work on 8.12, but it seems the relevant entry points are not available on this version (GLX_ARB_create_context is missing from the extension list).

Edit: missed your post Kano. So it seems to work fine on nvidia, which probably indicates a driver bug on ati's side.

Anyone with an ati card and catalyst 9.1 or 9.2 care to make a try?
    Last edited by BlackStar; 24 February 2009, 07:44 PM.

Comment

• Code:
      GLX_ARB_create_context GLX_ARB_get_proc_address GLX_ARB_multisample GLX_EXT_import_context GLX_EXT_visual_info GLX_EXT_visual_rating GLX_MESA_swap_control GLX_NV_swap_group GLX_OML_swap_method GLX_SGI_video_sync GLX_SGIS_multisample GLX_SGIX_fbconfig GLX_SGIX_swap_barrier GLX_SGIX_swap_group GLX_SGIX_visual_select_group
      Getting framebuffer config
      Getting XVisualInfo
      Creating colormap
      Creating window
      Mapping window
      Creating context
      Segmentation fault
      My card is an atihd4850 with the 9.2 catalyst driver. Arch Linux x86_64.

Comment

• Beautiful, that's what I'm seeing too. Not too surprising, considering I'm also running Arch Linux x86_64 with a 4850 and the 9.2 driver

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
          Thanks for testing!

Ati officially introduced GL3 support with catalyst 9.1. There was a chance it would work on 8.12, but it seems the relevant entry points are not available on this version (GLX_ARB_create_context is missing from the extension list).

Edit: missed your post Kano. So it seems to work fine on nvidia, which probably indicates a driver bug on ati's side.

Anyone with an ati card and catalyst 9.1 or 9.2 care to make a try?
          I suppose I'll have to wait until 9.1 or 9.2 hits Debian testing as installing the packages from the fglrx installer often causes a lot of problems.

Comment

• Originally posted by hpestilence View Post
            Code:
            GLX_ARB_create_context GLX_ARB_get_proc_address GLX_ARB_multisample GLX_EXT_import_context GLX_EXT_visual_info GLX_EXT_visual_rating GLX_MESA_swap_control GLX_NV_swap_group GLX_OML_swap_method GLX_SGI_video_sync GLX_SGIS_multisample GLX_SGIX_fbconfig GLX_SGIX_swap_barrier GLX_SGIX_swap_group GLX_SGIX_visual_select_group
            Getting framebuffer config
            Getting XVisualInfo
            Creating colormap
            Creating window
            Mapping window
            Creating context
            Segmentation fault
            My card is an atihd4850 with the 9.2 catalyst driver. Arch Linux x86_64.
            here too, Gentoo x86_64, HD3650 AGP, Catalyst-9.2

Comment

• For me, 9.2 installs and runs under 64bit openSUSE 11.0 with a 4850 card and compositing under KDE 4 is working, too. However, any program that tries to read OpenGL information just hangs, with X using ~30% of processor time on an AMD Quadcore processor. The programs I tried are fglrxinfo, amdcccle, fgl_glxgears, KDE4 compositing settings, and games under Wine. Once any of these apps are started, they hang forever. The system itself keeps working fine however.
              Reverting back to 9.1 resolves this. Looks like a regression to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by lbnbfhytoydkdd View Post
                For me, 9.2 installs and runs under 64bit openSUSE 11.0 with a 4850 card and compositing under KDE 4 is working, too. However, any program that tries to read OpenGL information just hangs, with X using ~30% of processor time on an AMD Quadcore processor. The programs I tried are fglrxinfo, amdcccle, fgl_glxgears, KDE4 compositing settings, and games under Wine. Once any of these apps are started, they hang forever. The system itself keeps working fine however.
                Reverting back to 9.1 resolves this. Looks like a regression to me.
                is there any info from dmesg? I've had similar things before, typically related to an incomplete / incorrect driver installation.

Comment

• I've been waiting for this release all month but I was out on Friday so I didn't notice this till now! I hoped it would build against 2.6.29. I haven't tried yet but I don't think it will. It has indeed fixed the problem in MythTV though, that had been bugging me for ages. GUI performance in MythTV seems much better in general.

Comment

• Has anyone an idea why i can't use the xinerama-option in the xorg.conf anymore. I'm using Ubuntu Hardy with a Mobility Radeon HD 2600 and it worked quite well with 8.12 and 9.1, but when i'm trying to set this option in 9.2 the screen is just black and nothing works anymore.
                    Is there anyone who could help me?

Comment

• Originally posted by mirv View Post
                      is there any info from dmesg? I've had similar things before, typically related to an incomplete / incorrect driver installation.
                      This is the fglrx output in dmesg:
                      Code:
                      fglrx: module license 'Proprietary. (C) 2002 - ATI Technologies, Starnberg, GERMANY' taints kernel.
                      [fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 1885 MBytes.
                      [fglrx]   vendor: 1002 device: 9442 count: 1
                      [fglrx] ioport: bar 4, base 0xc000, size: 0x100
                      [fglrx] Driver built-in PAT support is enabled successfully
                      [fglrx] module loaded - fglrx 8.58.2 [Feb  4 2009] with 1 minors
                      [fglrx] Firegl kernel thread PID: 2555
                      [fglrx] Gart USWC size:942 M.
                      [fglrx] Gart cacheable size:60 M.
                      [fglrx] Reserved FB block: Shared offset:0, size:1000000
                      [fglrx] Reserved FB block: Unshared offset:fdff000, size:201000
                      [fglrx] Reserved FB block: Unshared offset:1fffb000, size:5000
                      Nothing interesting I would say. I also had aticonfig configure my xorg.conf again, just to be on the safe side, but anything trying to read the OpenGL information still hangs.

Does anyone have other ideas?

Comment

Working...
                      X