Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon "Southern Islands" Support Continues Improving In AMDGPU Driver - GPU Reset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon "Southern Islands" Support Continues Improving In AMDGPU Driver - GPU Reset

Phoronix: Radeon "Southern Islands" Support Continues Improving In AMDGPU Driver - GPU Reset

The AMD Radeon GCN 1.0 "Southern Islands" graphics processors continue seeing open-source driver improvements on Linux in 2020...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It'll be an interesting day when they send in the patch to drop the radeon driver in favour of defaulting to amdgpu!

Comment

The gpu reset could have been useful feature if xorg and applications could actually survive it... Otherwise you still have to restart everything. And I don't see anyone exploring into that direction.

Comment

This is exactly what adds value to the AMD brand over others, when existing products aren't cursed by their manufacturer with "planned obsolescence upgrades", "driver upgrades that screw up everything", or other anti-consumer behaviors like "Oh you need the old broken driver we don't maintain anymore -- you're not a poor user are you?".

Maybe wrecking my old GPUs has no effect on my buying decisions because I upgrade every ~2 generations anyways and would like my old GPUs to go to extra machines to play Xonotic or other old games or friends and family who can't afford new GPUs or simply wouldn't buy one themselves. Fuck me right?

The long game is while Nvidia cards gradually turn to dogshit AMD won't -- what does that say about Brand Value / Reputation in the eyes of consumers. A lot.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
          This is exactly what adds value to the AMD brand over others, when existing products aren't cursed by their manufacturer with "planned obsolescence upgrades", "driver upgrades that screw up everything", or other anti-consumer behaviors like "Oh you need the old broken driver we don't maintain anymore -- you're not a poor user are you?".

Maybe wrecking my old GPUs has no effect on my buying decisions because I upgrade every ~2 generations anyways and would like my old GPUs to go to extra machines to play Xonotic or other old games or friends and family who can't afford new GPUs or simply wouldn't buy one themselves. Fuck me right?

The long game is while Nvidia cards gradually turn to dogshit AMD won't -- what does that say about Brand Value / Reputation in the eyes of consumers. A lot.
          spot on

Comment

True... on the other hand, I still can't properly use OpenCL on my 5700 let alone ROCm stack...

Comment

Yes, AMD has value as they work together with others interested in working graphics - while one special company - cough - don't.
              Switching to the current stack with GCN1 would be a really brilliant signal to customers.

But when latest gen. Navi (RDNA1) is not supported by ROCm stack after a year - and thus Navi 2 will not work either, AMD should really invest now in open source people creating drivers and configuration tools for their cards for Linux and Mesa (additional ones may be nice and under there control, but they don't count concerning support, quality etc.) - starting with RDNA but soon improving all cards from GCN1 to latest the same way. Just a dream ... which may come true.

Currently AMD shines and could get and keep the crown (for CPU & GPU - who would have bet on that before) for a while ...
              But if they don't make use of that chance, we all may end with <not_to_be_named_worst_company_to_be_dealt_with> cards - who would want that???

Comment

Since I started using a A8 7600 APU a couple months ago (RX 570 died...) I was wondering why Vulkan wasn't working. So I switched to AMDGPU and the little bugger got rolling. Nice.

Comment

Well, playing the devil's advocate, Nvidia's support for old cards is pretty good actually.

Unless of course if you like to ride on the bleeding edge of the Kernel releases.

Comment

Used GCN 1.0 GPU for a while, no issues at all with AMDGPU, didn't see massive (or any noticable) improvements either tho., aside from vulkan. At the end, it did work well, reset wasn't needed since I do not remember last time driver/something actually crashed in order to require it.

Comment

Working...
                    X