X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• qarium
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    In the past the prices would go down periodically to reflect their declining value, but in the last couple of years I have seen surprisingly high pricing on old stock,
    I really can unterstand any linux user who ONLY buy used ones on ebay at minium 2-3 years old.
    they now buy AMD Vega64.... and in 1-2 years they start to buy 5700XT
    this also could be the reason why some old hardware go high in the price.
    this saves a linux user many money and for sure he gets a rock solid linux experience.

these people maybe just the smartest customers compared to these people who buy a 5700XT and have to wait 1-2 years until they have bug-free linux desktop experience.

i am on vega64 right now but i read many times for the 5700XT it had many bugs and was not usefull for linux even 1 year after release... then after like 15 month after release the 5700 startet to give good experience to the people.

so yes... i really can uneterstand any linux user who buy years old hardware.,

my 6 vega64 i bought in 2017/2018 at first was not used for desktop instead for mining.

this means it was the same bad desktop experience for like 1-2 years now the card is like 2-3 years old and the destop experience is very good.

why should someone pay full price for this? more likely buy used one on ebay...

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    You might want to actually look into your presumption, that hardware -is- still being sold new in the box, several generations of that hardware is still being sold new....
    You may be looking at the question from different perspectives. As far as I know AMD has not sold any hardware older than Polaris for quite a while now, but products from any vendor can stay in the supply chain and be sold as new for a decade or more.

In the past the prices would go down periodically to reflect their declining value, but in the last couple of years I have seen surprisingly high pricing on old stock, presumably generated by scarcity-based pricing algorithms. It's not for me to tell retailers how to do their jobs, but it's probably fair to say that very few people would pay a premium for a 10 year old graphics card no matter how scarce it was at the retail level
    Last edited by bridgman; 30 June 2020, 07:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• [TV]
    replied
    Thanks AMD! Good Job!

So how about that Fluid Motion then, since it works on all GCN based cards and, if I'm not completely mistaken, is part of the UVD?

Oh yeah, never mind: "Exclusively on Cyberlink PowerDVD 14 Build 4412 or later."

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

As I said, the last GCN2 hardware they released were 5 years ago. You're not going to see hardware that old being sold new unless it's old stock being sold cheaply (it's not old enough to get a "vintage extra" like on chrome tape cassettes or 5.25" floppies). This isn't the 80s when you could keep selling the exact same product like the Commodore 64 or VIC-20 year in and year out.

You've been going on about this for years and it may have been true when you started, but new GCN1 and GCN2 hardware hasn't been sold as new hardware for years.
    You might want to actually look into your presumption, that hardware -is- still being sold new in the box, several generations of that hardware is still being sold new....

Leave a comment:

• libolt
    replied

The radeon kernel driver doesn't have the interfaces required for Vulkan support. Huge deal breaker, no DXVK.... The same hardware on the amdgpu driver works just fine, except then it doesn't support hardware video decode, at least until now that is.... And the biggest problem about that is that AMD released GCN1 and GCN2 hardware for years on several generations of product lines and those products are still being sold as new even still.
    I already understand that and it's why I use the amdgpu driver with my R7 370. I use DXVK and RADV regularly. I was curious what features for GCN 1.0/1.1 are still missing from amdgpu after adding UVD support. UVD hasn't been a big issue for me as I rarely watch videos on my computer. But it will be nice to have the feature.

Leave a comment:

• L_A_G
    replied
    I'm not talking at all about enthusiasts buying replacement parts for legacy hardware, I'm talking about end users buying brand new hardware for their daily use. On this forum alone, I've had to warn people about GCN1 and GCN2 many times over the last few years. Even just last week I had to explain the situation to someone....
    As I said, the last GCN2 hardware they released were 5 years ago. You're not going to see hardware that old being sold new unless it's old stock being sold cheaply (it's not old enough to get a "vintage extra" like on chrome tape cassettes or 5.25" floppies). This isn't the 80s when you could keep selling the exact same product like the Commodore 64 or VIC-20 year in and year out.

You've been going on about this for years and it may have been true when you started, but new GCN1 and GCN2 hardware hasn't been sold as new hardware for years.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

Sure, there probably are people selling old leftover stock the same way there are people are still selling leftover stock chrome tape C-cassettes, 5.25" floppies and Sega Dreamcasts. However the last 2nd gen GCN parts released, Carizzo-L APUs using Steamroller CPU cores, came out 5 years ago.
    I'm not talking at all about enthusiasts buying replacement parts for legacy hardware, I'm talking about end users buying brand new hardware for their daily use. On this forum alone, I've had to warn people about GCN1 and GCN2 many times over the last few years. Even just last week I had to explain the situation to someone....

Leave a comment:

• qarium
    replied
    Originally posted by agd5f View Post
    Just a minor correction, as I've said several times, the original radeon UVD firmware could have been used directly. It works today in radeon. New firmware was a not a hard requirement. It just make a few things slightly cleaner in the driver.
    yes very nice. thank you.

Leave a comment:

• agd5f
    replied
    Just a minor correction, as I've said several times, the original radeon UVD firmware could have been used directly. It works today in radeon. New firmware was a not a hard requirement. It just make a few things slightly cleaner in the driver.

Leave a comment:

• L_A_G
    replied
    Your statement isn't true. AMD released GCN1 and GCN2 hardware for years and for generation after generation of product lines. They are still being sold as new products in the box even still..... Brand new products with that hardware is still being bought....
    Sure, there probably are people selling old leftover stock the same way there are people are still selling leftover stock chrome tape C-cassettes, 5.25" floppies and Sega Dreamcasts. However the last 2nd gen GCN parts released, Carizzo-L APUs using Steamroller CPU cores, came out 5 years ago.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X