Sienna Cichlid Support For RadeonSI Merged Into Mesa 20.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Said to be released in October:
    Release dates for both Ryzen 4000 Vermeer Zen 3 CPUs and RDNA 2 Big Navi GPUs have leaked, and these rumours do line up with previous reports on the expected...

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      Hmm...
      Waiting for RADV support so I can play games with Lutris, Steam and DXVK..
      Patches were available the same day AMD posted the GL support. Untested since there is no hardware available, but it's trivial enough that any issues should get solved as soon as they get the hardware.

They'll just need to work on adding raytracing, which AMD hasn't released code for in their GL driver yet either. Hopefully that's coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
        I just hope I don't have to read "Sienna Cichlid " too much more.
        Why so? Is the name annoying or something?

It's just like "Southern Islands" or those codenames of the GCN 1 days...

At the end this is just a codename... Remember when Polaris was announced? It was actually Arctic Islands prior to revealing its name...

Heck, if this scheme were still active I would call Vega and Navi like so:

- Vega: Stellar Islands
        - Navi: Distant Islands
        Last edited by tildearrow; 10 June 2020, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
          Well, it's a matter of AMD choosing to work on AMDVLK rather than RADV, who are you going to be disappointed in?
          it's a matter of radv devs choosing to work on radv rather than amdvlk, who are you going to be disappointed in?

Comment

fedora isn't rolling release, but it has current kernel

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              Is the name annoying or something?
              Yes, at least to me. My brain keeps wanting to read it as "Chicklid", which is why I hope it changes soon.
              FWIW, the word 'cache' also annoys me. I read it as "kaysh".

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                Hmm...
                Waiting for RADV support so I can play games with Lutris, Steam and DXVK.

But of course disappointed that the support will come late again.
                AMD only officially supports their AMDVLK driver which is separate. So no surprises there. If they'd just abandon that and support RADV it would be nice. Or atleast provide proper GPU documentation so that interested parties can do the work, that would be good too.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

AMD only officially supports their AMDVLK driver which is separate. So no surprises there. If they'd just abandon that and support RADV it would be nice. Or atleast provide proper GPU documentation so that interested parties can do the work, that would be good too.
                  Yes, but we all know this isn't going to happen as they have to support AMDVLK for Windows, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

We haven't even announced the product yet let alone shipped it, so presumably you work for AMD with access to an engineering sample ?

If so we can set you up with internal trees.
                    Funny, but the day when the product will be announced and then shipped will come, and I wouldn't be surprised if I download the latest version of my distro, let's say Kubuntu 20.10 and the kernel or Mesa support for these newer GPUs will not be there and have to wait another 3 or 6 months until software catches up.

I'm tired of buying new AMD CPUs or GPUs and not being able to enjoy it fully at that time because something is missing.
                    Last year I had to wait for the systemd or kernel developers to make some workarounds because the up-to-date distros would not even boot, then for the motherboard vendor to release a BIOS update for a more proper workaround.

Good that I haven't upgraded my Polaris GPU to Navi and I'm happy I haven't done it because I heard that even now there's no working OpenCL on it.

So yeah, this time I complain early with the hope that by the time the new distros will be released will all all the support for the new GPUs, otherwise I see no point into buying the hardware if the software is not ready.

Anyway, good luck and thank you very much for your hard work!

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

Dude, you don't own a "Sienna Cichlid" gpu yet.
                      So what ?

On Linux, unlike Windows when you can download the driver and have good support at the same day you own the GPU, the support must come to the kernel, Mesa, etc many months before, which should be about now.

Have you seen how early Intel adds support for their GPUs ?

Of course nobody else has those GPUs at that time, but it's a guarantee that when the GPUs are launched they will have best support.

Comment

Working...
                      X