Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Switch off Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 xt rgb leds (Linux)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switch off Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 xt rgb leds (Linux)

My Vega56 died on me and I got a replacement: the Nitro+. I'd like to turn off /disable the leds on it but it seems one can only do that with their software on Windows. I run Manjaro. Does anyone know how to switch off those leds under Linux?

Cheers!

You can turn the LEDs on/off by setting/clearing the LED_DISPLAY bit in the SMU feature mask. It's enabled by default. You can disable it by removing that bit. E.g.,

Comment

Whoa, I was hoping for something I could run on the cmd line. Is this file part of the kernel, then? Meaning, I compile my own and make that change from the diff?

Is there no kernel parameter maybe that I could run? I'd rather not have to compile a kernel for every update I get automatically...

Comment

There are no interfaces to control this at runtime.

Comment

Do those Nitro+ cards no longer come with physical RGB buttons? The Polaris cards I know had a button on the PCB that allowed some degree of control for the lights.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
            There are no interfaces to control this at runtime.
            Are the interfaces different in Linux from Windows? In theory couldn't OpenRGB control this? Last time I checked TriXX from Sapphire is sending some i2c messages to the GPU.

I would love to help with testing but I'm not sure I can investigate this on my own since I have no experience with i2c or AMD drivers.

Comment

As far as I know, there is only an LED on/off switch via smu feature bit I mentioned earlier. The AIBs can implement other board specific features using the i2c bus which is probably what you are seeing.
              Last edited by agd5f; 28 May 2020, 05:43 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                As far as I know, there is only an LED on/off switch via smu feature bit I mentioned earlier. The AIBs can implement other board specific features using the i2c bus which is probably what you are seeing.
                thanks, in that case it might be worth it to investigate it more. I'm not sure if it's possible to replace these ADL2 calls with something equivalent though.

Comment

Originally posted by LumielGR View Post

thanks, in that case it might be worth it to investigate it more. I'm not sure if it's possible to replace these ADL2 calls with something equivalent though.
                  There is code in the driver to access the i2c buses. That said, the board configuration is AIB specific.

Comment

I'm the developer of OpenRGB. I just got an RX580 Nitro+ the other day and have been reverse engineering it on Windows. It is an i2c device, but unlike the screenshot above I was unable to capture calls to the I2C ADL function in API Monitor from either version of TriXX I tried. Fortunately someone had contributed an ADL i2c driver not long ago so I was dumping the controller registers after setting them with TriXX and figured out most of the control scheme. I still can't seem to set modes, as it reads back in register 0x00 but writing to that register has no effect. LumielGR, where did you find that screenshot of TriXX R/E? I would love to see what it's sending!

As for control on Linux, we need to adapt https://github.com/twifty/aura-gpu (i2c driver for on-board bus of AMD GPUs) to work with Sapphire cards. This should give OpenRGB access to the i2c device.
                    Last edited by CalcProgrammer1; 15 July 2020, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X